Aug. 14, 2007
Tallahassee, Fla. – The FSU football team concluded its first two-a-day going 18 periods in shells Tuesday evening. It was a night of firsts for the 2007 preseason as the Seminoles practiced under the lights, participated in board drills, worked on the two-minute drill and in red zone situations. The team will resume its normal single day schedule Wednesday practicing 24 periods in pads. Practice gets underway at 9:20 a.m.
- The practice started with the offense working on clock management and then moved into special teams before breaking into position groups.
- One of the highlights early on was watching tight ends Jonathan Hannah and John Frady catch passes from the QB’s.
- The offense worked some versus the scout team before everyone moved into board drills. Shannon Boatman, Brandon Davis, Joe Surratt, Rodney Hudson and Antwane Greenlee all did well on the boards for the offense. Defensively Kendrick Stewart, Everette Brown, Aaron Gresham, Budd Thacker, Justin Mincey and Emmanuel Dunbar won board battles.
- In situational 7-on-7 Drew Weatherford connected on two passes to De’Cody Fagg, one to Richard Goodman and he hit Antone Smith underneath. Xavier Lee connected with Jamaal Edwards and Christian Ponder hit Greg Carr. Defensively Derek Nicholson intercepted a pass and Dionte Allen had a pass break up.
- The defense dominated pass rush winning a lot of the battles. Everette Brown, Kevin McNeil, Justin Mincey, Andre Fluellen and Budd Thacker won multiple 1-on-1’s.
- In 11-on-11 red zone, Jamaal Edwards opened the drill with a big run for a TD. Goodman hauled in a ball from Weatherford and held on despite a big lick from Dekoda Watson. Weatherford and De’Cody Fagg hooked up for a 10-yard TD and then Weatherford connected with Sims for a near TD but Myron Rolle hammered Sims and knocked the ball out as he was heading in for six. Tony Carter picked up the loose ball and took it back the other way. The period ended with a pass break up for Roosevelt Lawson.
- In down and distance Weatherford completed passes to Goodman and Fagg for first downs. Weatherford and Goodman hooked up again later for a nice gain and Antone Smith made a nice play on an underneath route. Christian Ponder hit Rod Owens twice. Owens paid the price on the second one as Darius McClure laid a huge hit on the receiver but could not dislodge the ball from Owens grip.
- The practice finished with the 2:00 drill. The first team offense got into the endzone on the final play but it wasn’t easy. Smith broke a big run on a 3rd and five for a first down and then Weatherford hit Damon McDaniel to convert another third down. With time winding down Weatherford and Preston Parker connected for a TD.