Scott Speicher Tennis Center
(Updated January 2016)
With the first stage of construction completed in the summer of 1993, the Scott Speicher Tennis Center at the Donald Loucks Courts opened its gates to the public for the first time at a Children’s Miracle Network charity tournament. Since then, many successful tournaments including the 1996 NCAA Women’s Championships and 2007-2010 NCAA Regionals have graced the courts at one of Florida State University’s premier athletic facilities.
Costing $1.2 million to build and then another $800,000 for recent additions, Florida State’s Speicher Tennis Center has become an example of the increasing dedication and commitment the University has to all of its 20 varsity athletic programs.
The Speicher Tennis Center houses 12 lighted hard courts, over 1,000 court level seats, coaching offices, men’s and women’s locker rooms, equipment and storage rooms, a team lounge and a public address system. In 2015, the complex added booster seating over Courts 1 & 2 with new black awnings to cover fans. Underneath the grandstands, a new paint job and signage welcomes players and fans to the complex. The growing pride Florida State has for its tennis program and its premier tennis center was honored just after it’s opening in 1994, when the United States Tennis Association (USTA) awarded the structure with its “Top Notch” facility award.
In 2016, the courts were repainted in Florida State’s patented Garnet and Gold, the first major renovations to the courts since they opened in 1993.
The Speicher Tennis Center was named in honor of Lieutenant Commander Michael Scott Speicher, a graduate of Florida State University. Speicher was considered the first American casualty during Operation Desert Storm, but was later reclassified by the U.S. government as missing in action in 2001 and missing or captured a year later. However, in 2009 Speicher’s remains were found in the Anbar province of Iraq after a nearly 20-year search. The Scott Speicher family was later honored by Florida State at a home football game with a missing man formation flyover from the Navy. By Presidential directive, the facility bears the name the “Scott Speicher Tennis Center.”
In 1947, Loucks became Florida State’s first basketball coach and a year later was named the school’s first tennis coach. The varsity tennis courts were named for Loucks in 1981. He served as Dean of men from 1957-1967 and was known as a servant of leadership, service and devotion to many worthy causes.
The Speicher Tennis Center was designed by EMO/Architects, Inc., a Tallahassee-based architectural firm, in collaboration with Global Consult Group, Inc., an internationally recognized Tennis Facility Design Consultant. The complex was funded by private sources and supervised through the state university system of Florida.
Through its 22 year existence, the Donald Loucks Courts at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center has served as the home courts for all Florida State men’s and women’s home dual matches, Seminole Fall Classics, City of Tallahassee tennis championships, various USTA regional and zonal tournaments, the 1994 and 1995 Men’s Intercollegiate tournament and the annual Children’s Miracle Network Charity Invitational benefiting Shands Hospital in Gainesville. The tennis center has also been the site for the ITA Summer Circuit for men’s and women’s tennis in which high school and collegiate athletes participate in singles and double matches.
Scott Speicher Tennis Center Driving Directions
Physical Address: 121 Chieftan Way, Tallahassee, FL 32306
FROM: Interstate 10 – Westbound – Exit 209A
FROM: Interstate 10 – Eastbound – Exit 196
FROM: HWY 90 West (QUINCY)
FROM: Route 319 (Thomasville Rd.)