May 10, 2006
Written by Stephanie Ecott
Tallahassee, Fla. – Redshirt senior Lacy Janson sat down with FSU Sports Information to answers questions about family, friends and of course pole vaulting.
1) What did you do on your recruiting trip? Who was your host and what do you remember about it?
I only took one recruiting trip and it was (to FSU). Lindsay Osbourne was my host and she was a senior. I also hung out with Megan Robbins and Karen Rademeyer. It only took one visit to decide that I wanted to go to Florida State. There were garnet and gold balloons everywhere and Coach (Nobles) welcomed me. It was the most welcoming and warm place. I just knew it was a place people wanted to be.
2) Did you host your sisters when they came on their trips?
Yeah, Brittany did an official visit and stayed with me and Kristen came too.
3) What do you love about pole vaulting?
I love everything about it, it’s such a challenge. There’s always something you need to fix. Once you improve something then there’s something else that needs to be done. I love when everything comes together when your work is paid off and everything goes smooth and you clear a bar and you fall.
4) What do you hate about pole vaulting?
I hate the frustration when you feel like you can’t get off the ground and you don’t know why you can’t get your hands up and swing and don’t know why it’s not working.
5) Where is your favorite place to vault?
Arkansas because I love raised runways and it’s just one of those places I like being. It’s a great runway, it’s really fast. I won Nationals there my sophomore year, and I’ve always done well there.
6) What went through your mind when you broke the NCAA record in pole vaulting?
I was just happy I cleared 15′. That’s what I wanted to do. I just wanted to get up 15′. It was a mental barrier, like a next level. I also felt a sense of relief that I’d finally done it.
I knew I could do it; I just had to have everything come together.
7) Do you get a lot of attention on campus?
No, not really.
8) Who do you lean on for support?
My parents and the rest of my family as well as my coaches. My sisters are also pole vaulters (here at FSU) so they know what it’s like.
9) What are your plans for the summer?
Right now, I’m just doing track and I’m also working two days a week at the YMCA. I think I might go to Dollywood when we have a week off and I also might go to Italy to do some pole vaulting for a couple of weeks.
10) When was your last vacation and where did you go?
My last vacation was last summer when we took four trips to North Carolina to visit my grandparents, for a family reunion and a wedding. It was part of our travels; one of all 50 states we’ve visited.
11) What is something you always have with you?
Chap Stick and that means I have to have tough skin/sticky spray too for my hands; I have to have that to pole vault.
12) What is the weirdest thing you have in your closet?
Probably the tough skin/sticky spray that I have.
13) Who is your favorite professor? What class did that professor teach?
I like Igor Alabugin for Survey of Organic. He was a really good teacher. I learned a lot and did really well in the class. I felt smarter coming out of the class.
14) What do you want to do when you graduate college?
Pole vault professionally for as long as I can. I don’t know exactly what I want my career to be. I have a lot of interests but I don’t know what I want to do as far as my career.