Jan. 31, 2009
ATLANTA, Ga. – After an early morning battle against No. 21 Arizona State in the first round of the ITA Team Indoor Championship, the twentieth ranked Florida State women’s tennis team came up unsuccessful as they loss 4-1. Host Georgia Tech (No. 8) will now match-up against No. 25 TCU to see who will play either the Seminoles or Sun Devils tomorrow.
“ASU played a little bit better than we did, but at the same time we certainly learned a lot from today’s match,” said Head Coach Jennifer Hyde. “I think the biggest difference for us today was execution and not taking advantage of opportunities that we created.”
Hitting the courts first this morning were doubles’ matches that gave way to Arizona State’s first point. On court one was Michaela Hein and Kelcy McKenna defeating junior co-captain’s Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) and Jessica Sucupira (Whitehouse, Texas) 8-4. The second match that gave Arizona State the lead was Laila Abdala and Nadia Abdala winning against senior Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) and sophomore Federica Suess (Ludwigshafen, Germany) 8-1.
On the singles’ front, the Sun Devils gained their three remaining points to win the match as sophomore’s Katie Rybakova (Coral Springs, Fla.) and Suess along with Sucupira fell to their opponents. Winning the one point for Florida State was Macfarlane as she defeated Nadia Abdala, 7-5, 6-4.
“We definitely had our chances, but just failed to capitalize on them,” said Hyde. “I think the team will approach tomorrows match much differently. We have a lot to play for tomorrow.”
Florida State will be back in action tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. to face the loser of Georgia Tech and TCU. For more information on Florida State athletics, go to www.seminoles.com.
Arizona State 4, Florida State 1
1) Michela Hein/Kelcy McKenna, ASU def. Lauren McFarlane/Jessica Sucupira, FSU, 8-4
2) Laila Abdala/Nadia Abdala, ASU def. Ania Rynarzewska/Federica Suess, FSU, 8-1
3) Katie Rybakova/Bonny Davidson, FSU def. Ashlee Brown/Sianna Simmons, ASU, 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1) (No. 3) McKenna, ASU def. (No. 35) Rybakova, FSU, 6-3, 6-1
2) Macfarlane, FSU def. N. Abdala, ASU, 7-5, 6-4
3) Hein, ASU def. (No. 53) Suess, FSU, 6-4, 6-3
4) Rynarzewska, FSU vs. L. Abdala, ASU, 6-7, 4-2, suspended
5) Simmons, ASU def. Sucupira, FSU, 7-5, 7-6 (8)
6) Davidson, FSU def. Brown, ASU, 3-5 suspended
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 2