April 12, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No. 27 Florida State men’s tennis team spent the afternoon battling back and forth with No. 26 Wake Forest. The Seminoles fell to the Demon Deacons 4-3 at Leighton Courts and are now 16-7 for the year and 3-4 in the ACC.
“It was a great college tennis match,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “Unfortunately we came out on the other end of it. It was tough to lose the doubles point in the tiebreaker. We started a little slow in singles and then we just ran out of time.”
In doubles play, the Seminoles started strong with an 8-4 victory on court three. No. 89 Anderson Reed and Jordan Kelly-Houston topped Jon Ho and Sam Bloom. Wake Forest came back and won the match on court two.
Sophomore Cristian Gonzalez Mendez defeated Morgan Mays on court six 6-3, 6-1to tie up the match. Senior Jordan Kelly-Houston lost on court four 6-2, 6-2 to Adam Lee to give Wake Forest the advantage. Freshman Michael Rinaldi tied the match back-up by defeating Ho 6-3, 6-4 on court five.
The Demon Deacons once again took the lead when No. 62 Amogh Prabhakar topped senior Anderson Reed 6-0, 7-6 (6) on court three. Sophomore Benjamin Lock lost his first set but came back to win both the second and third. Lock topped Danny Kreyman 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 on court two to tie the match back up. With tonight’s win, Lock joins Dominic Cotrone and Rinaldi for 20 wins in a season.
With the match at 3-3, it came down to court one with No. 125 Cotrone and David Hopkins. Cotrone lost the first set but came back to win the second. Up in the third set, the sophomore lost ground after Hopkins got a break. Cotrone lost 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
“I am proud of how Dominic, Benjamin and Anderson fought back after losing first sets,” said Cotrone. “I was really pleased in the effort by Cristian and Michael for winning straight sets to get us back in the match.”
The Seminoles take on North Carolina on Sunday. For more information, check back to Seminoles.com. You can also follow the team at Twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
No. 26 Wake Forest 4, No. 27 Florida State 3
1. #47 David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. #40 B. Lock/Andres Bucaro (FS) 9-8 (2)
2. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) def. #34 Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis (FS) 8-4
3. #89 Anderson Reed/Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) def. Jon Ho/Sam Bloom (WF) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. David Hopkins (WF) def. #125 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. Benjamin Lock (FS) def. Danny Kreyman (WF) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. #62 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Anderson Reed (FS) 6-0, 7-6 (6)
4. #105 Adam Lee (WF) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) 6-2, 6-2
5. Michael Rinaldi (FS) def. Jon Ho (WF) 6-3, 6-4
6. C. Gonzalez Mendez (FS) def. Morgan Mays (WF) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 4, 5, 3, 2, 1*