March 23, 2007
CLEMSON, SC. – No. 15 Florida State (9-4, 2-2) fell on the road to No. 7 ACC foe Clemson (13-2, 4-0) Friday, March 23 at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The Seminoles clinched the doubles point while gaining another point in singles play.
“We didn’t use the momentum from that doubles point and that did make a big difference today” stated head coach Jennifer Hyde. “We took the number six team in the nation in four three sets matches in singles. We are within inches of that major break through. I think no one played great today. We’re not playing our best tennis which is something that is keeping us focused as coaches because we got to keep working for playing our best tennis.”
The Seminoles won two of three doubles matches causing Clemson to fall for only the third time of the season. No. 29 senior Nicola Slater (Ayr, Scotland) and junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) upset the No. 12 doubles team of Ani Mijacika and Carol Salge in a tie breaker 9-8 (5).
Winning 8-6 was freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) and sophomore Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) against the No. 45 doubles team in the nation Alexandra Luc and Maria Brito. Brito and Luc lead early in the match 4-1 until the Seminoles tied the match. The match went to 6-6 until Florida State won two straight sets.
In singles action, four of the six matches went to three sets, but the Tigers won three of those sets. Freshman Jessica Wente (Whitehouse, TX) won the only singles point in a battle 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 against Federica van Adrichem.
“I think today was a great motivation for Sunday’s match,” continued Hyde. “We were so close and had so many opportunities today and it will make them a little bit more hungry for Sunday.”
The Seminoles continue to play on the road on Sunday against Georgia Tech beginning at 1 pm.
No. 7 Clemson 5, No. 15 Florida State 2
1. No. 29 Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) def. No. 12 Ani Mijacika/Carol Salge (CU) 9-8 (5)
2. Ina Hadziselimovic/Federica van Adrichem (CU) def. Miranda Foley/Jessica Wente (FSU) 8-1
3. Lauren Macfarlane/Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. No. 45 Alexandra Luc/Maria Brito (CU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 64 Ani Mijacika (CU) def. No. 76 Nicola Slater (FSU) 7-5, 5-7, 7-5
2. No. 85 Estefania Balda (CU) def. No. 95 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
3. No. 67 Carol Salge (CU) def. No. 77 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Federica van Adrichem (CU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Maria Brito (CU) def. Carolin Walter (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ina Hadziselimovic (CU) def. Miranda Foley (FSU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4