Feb. 18, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – On the road and facing a top-10 team for the first time this season, the No. 30-ranked Florida State women’s tennis team was defeated by the No. 5 Florida Gators, 7-0, at the Ring Tennis Complex.
“We competed well today and I was happy with the fight we brought to the match,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “Florida did a good job of shutting us down after a few very good first sets across most of the courts.”
Singles was competitive and the Seminoles battled very hard despite facing ITA top-40 competition on five of the six courts. Daneika Borthwick fell to No. 11 Olivia Janowicz, 6-1, 6-1, on court one and Schippers was defeated 6-3, 6-0 by No. 14 Brianna Morgan on court three.
No. 38 Kourtney Keegan clinched the match for the Gators with her win over Majlena Pedersen, 6-2, 6-0. Duda Santos (6-3, 6-2) and Porry (6-4, 6-0) each lost in straight sets to Stefani Stojic and No. 38 Sofie Oyen, respectively.
Junior Kerrie Cartwright personified the Seminole unconquered spirit on court two against No. 29 Alexandra Cercone. After narrowly losing the first set, 4-6, Cartwright stayed focused and despite her match not being able to make a difference in the overall team result she fought to a 6-4 win of her own in the second set to force a tiebreaker.
The 10-point tiebreaker for the third set would go back and forth until eventually Florida’s Cercone proved to be too much for Cartwright, winning 10-5. The Cartwright/Cercone match lasted over two hours before finally being decided to give Florida the 7-0 victory.
“Kerrie had every opportunity to beat a top-30 player today,” added Hyde. “She was building points and executing at a very high level, and her tennis continues to improve as we get deeper into our season. Her best tennis is still ahead of her and it is fantastic to see her development continue like it has.”
Next up for the Seminoles is a road trip to play Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, N.C. on Fri., Feb. 21 at 4:00 p.m., before heading back to Tallahassee for a match on Feb. 23 against Maryland at noon.
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 – No. 5 Florida 7, No. 30 Florida State 0
1. Sofie Oyen/Belinda Woolcock (14), UF vs. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick, FSU, DNF
2. Kourtney Keegan/Brianna Morgan, UF d. Daniela Schippers/Mia Vriens, FSU, 8-1*
3. Olivia Janowicz/Stefani Stojic, UF d. Laurence Porry/Kristina Schleich, FSU, 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2*
1. Olivia Janowicz (11), UF d. Daneika Borthwick, FSU, 6-1, 6-1
2. Alexandra Cercone (29), UF d. Kerrie Cartwright, FSU, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Brianna Morgan (14), UF d. Daniela Schippers, FSU, 6-3, 6-0
4. Sofie Oyen (31), UF d. Laurence Porry, FSU 6-4, 6-0
5. Kourtney Keegan (38), UF d. Majlena Pederson, FSU, 6-2, 6-0
6. Stefani Stojic, UF d. Duda Santos, FSU 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5*, 4, 6, 2