Feb. 28, 2014
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 34-ranked Florida State women’s tennis team (7-4, 2-1 ACC) lost its first conference match in a 5-2 final against No. 19 Georgia Tech on Friday afternoon at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Georgia Tech took the doubles point with wins by ITA No. 3 Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey over Daneika Borthwick and Kerrie Cartwright, 8-2, on court one and Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and Rasheeda McAdoo over Kristina Schleich and Majlena Pedersen on court three, 8-4.
The Seminoles would come out strong in singles and take a 2-1 match lead after straight set wins by Kerrie Cartwright and Mia Vriens. Cartwright, playing for the second time at No. 1, defeated nationally-ranked Woodard, 6-2, 7-5. The junior is now 2-0 on court one this season and has a 3-1 record against nationally ranked opponents.
Vriens surrendered only three games in her 6-3, 6-0 victory on court three against McAdoo. The Australia native has won nine straight matches, including a 7-0 singles dual match record in the spring. She is 10-2 overall in 2013-14.
The Yellow Jackets would convert the remainder of singles matches with wins over Laurence Porry (6-4, 6-1) on court six, Borthwick (6-4, 6-3) on court two and Daniela Schippers (6-3, 7-5) on court four.
Schleich and Anton-Ohlmeyer would play an epic three set match to close out the day. Schleich would win a hard fought first set, 7-5, and lose the second, 6-2. In a third set tiebreak that was scheduled for 10 points, the pairing went back forth with several match points before Anton-Ohlmeyer would outlast Schleich and win the tiebreaker, 16-14.
Florida State will return to the courts to play Boston College at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center on Sun., March 2 at 12:00 p.m.
Friday, February 28, 2014 – No. 19 Georgia Tech 5, No. 34 Florida State 2
1. Kerrie Cartwright (FS) def. #124 Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-2, 7-5
2. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Daneika Borthwick (FS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mia Vriens (FS) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Daniela Schippers (FS) 6-3, 7-5
5. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Kristina Schleich (FS) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (16-14)
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Laurence Porry (FS) 6-4, 6-1
1. #3 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick (FS) 8-2
2. Mia Vriens/Daniela Schippers (FS) vs. #49 Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) unfinished
3. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Kristina Schleich/Majlena Pedersen (FS) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)