Feb. 3, 2007
ATHENS, Ga. – Senior Nicola Slater (Ayr, Scotland) upset No. 20 Darya Ivanov as No. 61 Florida State fell to No. 16 Georgia Saturday, Feb. 3, 6-1 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The Seminoles took their first loss of the season against the Bulldogs. FSU’s record fell to 1-1 while UGA’s record increased to 5-0.
In singles play, the lone point came from Slater’s 7-6, 7-5 win over Ivanov in the No. 3 spot. Junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) fell to No. 44 Natalie Frazier 1-6, 1-6 while No. 58 freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) lost to No. 88 Monika Dancevic 3-6, 3-6. Freshman Jessica Wente (Whitehouse, Texas) fell 2-6, 2-6 to Yvette Hyndman in the No. 4 spot. Junior Tapiwa Marobela (Gaborone, Botswana) fought hard but fell 4-6, 4-6 against Kelley Hyndman. Senior Miranda Foley (Cambridge, England) faced Naoko Ueshima in the No. 6 spot but fell 1-6, 0-6.
“Nicola (Slater) did a great job today,” stated head coach Jennifer Hyde. “She went out and got a win that has been a long time coming for her, personally. She raised the level of her game when she had to. She played the big points a little bit better then her opponent at critical times and it made the difference.”
Florida State fell in doubles 0-3 losing the game point. No. 27 Macfarlane/Slater fell 2-8 to Y. Hyndman/Ivanov while Foley/Wente lost 4-8 to No. 42 Dancevic/K. Hyndman. Frazier/Ueshima defeated Walter/Marobela 5-8.
“It was a pretty good effort on our part,” continued Hyde. “I don’t think we played our best tennis today up and down the line. We did compete well in singles; in a number of positions we were very close. Lauren (Macfarlane), at number two, played a pretty solid match. Taps (Tapiwa Marobela) was neck and neck with her opponent and she could have very easily won it. We just came up a little short today. I’m please with our competitive effort.”
The Seminoles hit the court again when they travel to Rice next week on Friday, Feb. 9 and Houston Feb. 11.
1. #44 Natalie Frazier (UGA) d. Carolin Walter (FSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #88 Monika Dancevic (UGA) d. #58 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Nicola Slater (FSU) d. #20 Darya Ivanov (UGA) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
4. Yvette Hyndman (UGA) d. Jessica Wente (FSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) d. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Naoko Ueshima (UGA) d. Miranda Foley (FSU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 1,4,2,3,6,5
1. Y. Hyndman/Ivanov (UGA) d. #27 Macfarlane/Slater (FSU) 8-2
2. #42 Dancevic/K. Hyndman (UGA) d. Foley/Wente (FSU) 8-4
3. Frazier/Ueshima (UGA) d. Walter/Marobela (FSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1,2,3