March 7, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas –The Seminoles dropped to No. 7 Texas on Friday night 5-2 at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. Florida State is now 12-4 this season while the Longhorns are 13-2. They return to action Tuesday against Clemson.
“We played a good hard fought match tonight,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “The doubles point was important and we had some opportunities but we were unable to win the 8-7 tiebreakers. We won three first sets in singles, but it was a competitive match and we couldn’t convert all of our chances.”
In doubles play, the two teams squared off to fight for a tight doubles point. On court one, No. 23 Blake Davis and Dominic Cotrone faced No. 8 Soren Hess-Olesen and were leading for the first part of the match. Texas broke back and tied the match to force a tiebreaker, the Longhorns went on to win the match 8-7 (6).
On court two, Marco Nunez and Grayson Goldin defeated Jacoby Lewis and David Holiner 8-6 to tie up doubles. On court three, Cristian Gonzalez Mendez and Michael Rinaldi faced off against George Goldhoff and David Holiner but were defeated in a tiebreaker 8-7 (4).
In singles play, the Seminoles managed to win three first sets to give the team a chance to fight back and win the match but the Longhorns quickly won three singles matches to win the match.
Gonzalez Mendez won his first set but dropped his second set against No. 60 Goldhoff to force a third set tiebreaker. The two battled it out but Gonzalez Mendez stayed on top to win 6-3, 6-7 (6), 1-0 (10-8) in the third spot.
“Cristian has played well all year,” continued Hultquist. “He’s been a very solid point for us this year and I’m not surprised he got another ranked win. He’s certainly playing good tennis but is doing it both patiently and aggressively.”
Rinaldi also gained a strong 6-3, 7-6 (7) win against Holiner on court five.
Check back to Seminoles.com for all your information on the men’s tennis team and follow the team at twitter.com/fsu_mtennis.
#7 Texas 5, #35 Florida State 2
1. #31 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) def. Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. #22 Llyod Glasspool (UT) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. #60 George Goldhoff (UT) 6-3, 6-7 (6), 1-0 (10-8)
4. Adrien Berkowicz (UT) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. David Holiner (UT) 6-3, 7-6 (7)
6. Clement Homs (UT) def. Grayson Goldin (FSU) 5-7, 6-1, 1-0
1. #8 Hess-Olesen/Glasspool (UT) def. #23 Cotrone/Davis (FSU) 8-7 (4)
2. Nunez/Goldin (FSU) def. Lewis/Holiner (UT) 8-6
3. Goldhoff/Berkowicz (UT) def. Gonzalez Mendez/Rinaldi (FS) 8-7 (4)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,2,6,5,3)