March 28, 2014
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 24-ranked Florida State men’s tennis team dropped to No. 54 Virginia Tech (9-7, 2-3) 5-2 on Friday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. The beginning of the match was delayed due to weather. The Seminoles (15-6, 3-2) travel to face No. 4 Virginia Saturday.
“We did a good job of getting started but we didn’t close it out,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “It’s always a tough place to play and Virginia Tech played very well. The key to the match came down to us not winning all of the second set tiebreakers. Cristian was up 6-5 in his tiebreaker and had set point but was overruled and ended up losing it.”
The Seminoles started strong in doubles play winning two of the three matches for the point. Sophomore Marco Nunez and junior Cristian Gonzalez Mendez topped Amerigo Contini and Joao Monteiro 8-2 on court two while sophomore Michael Rinaldi and freshman Grayson Goldin won 8-5 over Jai Corbett and Florian Nicoud on court three.
In singles play, the Hokies won five of the six first sets taking the momentum from the Seminoles. Both Nunez and senior Blake Davis were dropped to give Virginia Tech the 2-1 advantage.
At that point both Goldin and Gonzalez Mendez were competing in second sets to extend their matches; Goldin won his to force a third set. Gonzalez Mendez dropped his second set tiebreaker after having set point but was overruled and ended up losing his match and give Virginia Tech a 3-1 lead.
After winning his second set, No. 101 Dominic Cotrone fell to No. 19 Contini 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 to clinch the match for Virginia Tech.
Rinaldi came up with the sole singles win for the Seminoles with a 6-4, 6-4 bout against Nicoud on court five. Goldin lost his match to give Virginia Tech their final point.
Check back to Seminoles.com for all your information on the men’s tennis team and follow the team at twitter.com/fsu_mtennis.
#54 Virginia Tech def. #24 Florida State 5-2
1. #19 Amerigo Contini (VT) def. #101 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. #120 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. #65 Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 7-6 (6)
3. Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) def. Florian Nicoud (VT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Grayson Goldin (FSU) 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-4
1. Bjerrehus/Koontz (VT) def. #41 Cotrone/Davis (FSU) 8-5
2. Nunez/Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. Contini/Monteiro (VT) 8-2
3. Goldin/Rinaldi (FSU) def. Corbett/Nicoud(VT) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,2,1,5,6)