April 1, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC –
Sunday afternoon found the 27th ranked Seminoles in another tight battle as they fell to the undefeated No. 6 Tar Heels 4-3. This is the fourth match this season Florida State men’s tennis has lost 4-3 including Clemson, Georgia Tech and Pepperdine. The Seminoles record slips to 11-7 for the season 3-4 in the ACC while North Carolina improves to 17-0 and 5-0 in ACC play.
Doubles play was evenly matched beginning with UNC’s Taylor Fogleman and Chris Kearney downing freshman Jean-Yves Aubone (Miami, Fla.) and sophomore Maciek Sykut (Marathon, Fla.) on court three 8-2 while Florida State’s senior Jonathas Sucupira (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and junior Sam Chang (Young-Ming, Taiwan) defeated Lenny Gullan and David Stone 8-5 in position one. The doubles point decision came down to the final battle on court two as senior Ytai Abougzir (Boca Raton, Fla.) and freshman Bradley Mixson (Miami, Fla.) fell to North Carolina’s Sebastian Guejman and Stefan Hardy 8-6.
Florida State fought back on court six as Mixson downed UNC’s Karl Wishart 6-2, 6-4 while sophomore Chris Cloer (Brevard, NC) fell to North Carolina’s Guejman 6-3, 6-2 in position four. Center court fell in favor of the Tar Heels as #46 Carlotti defeated #82 Abougzir 6-3, 6-4 while position two was the match deciding factor with UNC’s Hardy overpowering #119 Aubone 7-5, 2-6, 6-1. Florida State’s Chang fought in a three-set match to win position number five over UNC’s Fogleman 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 while court three found a final win for the Seminoles as Sykut defeated Kearney 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
Florida State men’s tennis (11-7, 3-4 ACC) returns to the Scott Speicher Tennis Center for another weekend filled with ACC match-ups. Play begins on Friday, April 5 against Virginia Tech and later on Easter Sunday against Virginia. As always, admission to all men’s and women’s tennis matches are free.
No. 27 Florida State 3, No. 6 North Carolina 4
1. Chang/Sucupira (FSU) def. Gullan/Stone (UNC) 8-5
2. Guejman/Hardy (UNC) def. Abougzir/Mixson (FSU) 8-6
3. Fogleman/Kearney (UNC) def. Sykut/Aubone (FSU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. #46 Benjamin Carlotti (UNC) def. #82 Ytai Abougzir (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Stefan Hardy (UNC) def. #119 Jean-Yves Aubone 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
3. Maciek Sykut (FSU) def. Chris Kearney (UNC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Sebastian Guejman (UNC) def. Chris Cloer (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sam Chang (FSU) vs. Taylor Fogleman (UNC) 0-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Bradley Mixson (FSU) def. Karl Wishart (UNC) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish:6, 4, 1, 2*, 5, 3