April 5, 1999
NO. 1 FLORIDA STATE (33-3, 12-0 ACC) QUICK NOTES
3/30 vs. Mercer W, 14-1
4/2 vs. #19 Wake Forest W, 7-4
4/3 vs. #19 Wake Forest W, 16-3
4/4 vs. #19 Wake Forest W, 4-3
4/7 vs. Jacksonville 7:00 p.m
4/9 vs. Clemson 7:00 p.m.
4/10 vs. Clemson 7:00 p.m.
4/11 vs. Clemson 1:00 p.m.
* The Seminoles completed a three-game sweep of #19 Wake Forest Sunday with
a game-winning RBI-single by leftfielder Chris Smith in the bottom of the
ninth inning. The Tribe has won 19 straight, just three short of the
22-game record set by the 1996 and 1991 teams. The ACC winning streak
record is 26 set by Clemson in 1977. The Seminoles pitching staff held
Wake Forest to a .157 batting average this weekend (only 14 hits in three
* FSU’s 12-0 ACC record not only tops the league, but not other team in the
conference has less than three ACC losses. FSU’s best start in conference
play was a 17-0 run in 1997 before losing to Georgia Tech 4-1 (in 10
* 2B Marshall McDougall extending his hitting streak to 27 games, while
catcher Jeremiah Klosterman’s streak is at 20 games. The FSU record is 34
games set by J.D. Drew in 1997. McDougall is batting .398 (47-for-188)
during his 27-game hitting streak, while Klosterman is .426 (29-for-46)
during his 20-game run.
* The ‘Noles are averaging 9.2 runs per game, batting a stellar .336 and
have recorded a 2.62 ERA all while posting a 36-3 record, including 17
games against Top 25 opponents. FSU is 14-3 against Top 25 teams, with
losses coming to then-#7 Florida (two) and then-#13 Wichita State.
* The FSU season record for batting average of .337 set in 1980 could be in
jeopardy if the Seminole keep slugging. Their current batting average is
Currently, the ‘Noles average of 12.1 hits per game is the best in school
history. The Tribe’s current ERA of 2.62 would rank sixth on the FSU
season charts if the year ended today.
* The Seminoles 33-3 start is the best record through 36 games in Mike
Martin’s tenure (since 1980).
* Matt Diaz batted .526 (10-for-19) with eight RBI and five runs in four
games this week. He also had three doubles and two stolen bases.
* Catcher Jeremiah Klosterman went 6-for-14 (.429) on the week with five
RBI, a double and a home run.
* 1B John Halliday batted .500 vs. Wake Forest (7-for-14) with two RBI.
* RHP Nick Stocks earned his eighth win of the season, increasing his
spotless record to 8-0. He leads FSU with 82 strikeouts (10.6 per game)
and has a 2.60 ERA.