April 6, 2003
CLEMSON, S.C. –
The Florida State women’s tennis team traveled to Clemson S.C. Sunday, April 6th, to take on the Clemson Tigers. The Seminoles fell to their ACC foe by a score of 6-1 in the match held at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. The loss drops the Tribe’s overall record to 13-9 and its conference record to 3-5, while the Tigers’ record improves to 16-3 overall and 6-0 in the ACC.
The Seminoles fell in two of three close doubles matches, allowing the Tigers to secure the doubles point of the match. In No. 3 doubles, Christina Denny and Brooke Cordell defeated Ioana Paun and Richele LeSaldo of Clemson, 8-4. Florida State’s Anca Dumitrescu and Mihaela Moldovan, playing at the No. 1 position, fell to 31st-ranked Julie Coin and Laurence Jayet by a score of 8-6. Amber Tantee and Natalie Tirapelli were defeated by Clemson’s Daniela Alvarez and Alix Lacelarie, currently tied for 59th place in the country, by a score of 8-5.
The Seminoles, after losing the doubles point, could only muster one win in singles play. Junior Cordell, playing in No. 6 singles, defeated Anna Dolinska of Clemson, 7-6, 4-6, 10-7. At the No. 1 position, 55th-ranked Dumitrescu fell to Clemson’s Coin, currently ranked 21st in the nation, by scores of 6-2, 6-1. Moldovan, ranked 83rd in the latest ITA rankings, could not hold on in a battle on court No. 2 and was defeated in three sets by Clemson’s Lacelarie, 6-7, 6-3, 11-9. In No. 3 singles, Denny fell to Alvarez, 6-0, 6-3. Florida State’s Tantee was defeated by Paun in No. 4 singles by scores of 7-6, 6-3. At the No. 5 position, Alina Mihailescu of Florida State fell to Jayet, 6-1, 6-1.
Florida State ends it regular season and will have 10 days off before traveling to Raleigh-Durham, N.C., to take part in the ACC Tournament April 17-20.
Final Box Score
Florida State 1
1. Julie Coin (CU) def. Anca Dumitrescu (FSU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Alix Lacelarie (CU) def. Mihaela Moldova (FSU), 6-7 (3), 6-3, (11-9)
3. Daniela Alvarez (CU) def. Christina Denny (FSU), 6-0, 6-3
4. Ioana Paun (CU) def. Amberly Tantee (FSU), 7-6 (6), 6-3
5. Laurence Jayet (CU) def. Alina Mihailescu (FSU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Brooke Cordell (FSU) def. Anna Dolinska (CU), 7-6 (2), 4-6, (10-7)
1. Coin/Jayet (CU) def. Dumitrescu/Muldovan (FSU), 8-6
2. Lacelarie/Alvarez (CU) def. Tantee/Tirapelli (FSU), 8-5
3. Cordell/Denny (FSU) def. Paun/LeSaldo (CU), 8-4