March 1, 2003
WACO, Texas –
The Florida State women’s tennis team traveled to Waco, Texas Saturday, March 1st, to take on the Baylor Bears. The Seminoles, currently ranked 58th in the nation, edged 43rd-ranked Baylor by a score of 4-3. With the win, the Tribe improves to 8-3 on the season, while the Bears fall to 3-6.
The Seminoles earned the first point of the day in doubles play, as they swept the Bears. Florida State’s Mihaela Moldovan and Beth Lawrence defeated Alison Bradley and Barbora Blahutiakova in No. 2 doubles by a score of 8-6. Christina Denny and Brooke Cordell clinched the doubles point for the Seminoles, as they knocked off Stephanie Balzert and Daria Potapova of Baylor in No. 3 doubles, 8-6. Amber Tantee and Daniela Gheorghe earned another Florida State victory at the No. 1 position, defeating Vida Mulec and Anna Moncolova of Baylor by a score of 8-5.
After the Seminoles earned the first point of the day in doubles action, the Bears appeared to be in control of singles play early. Sophomore Tantee, playing at the No. 5 position, fell to Baylor’s Izabela Mijic, 6-2, 6-1, which tied the score at one. The Bears took a 2-1 lead, as Gheorghe of Florida State fell to Moncolova by scores of 6-3, 6-2.
The Seminoles would not be down for long, as Moldovan knocked off Mulec of Baylor, 6-1, 6-2, to tie the score at two. Denny, playing at the No. 3 position for Florida State, gave the Seminoles a 3-2 lead, as she defeated Balzert by scores of 6-2, 7-5. In No. 6 singles, Alina Mihailescu clinched the match for the Tribe, defeating Blahutiakova, 6-4, 6-4.
Florida State’s Cordell fell to Potapova in three sets, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, but it would not be enough for Baylor, as the Seminoles had already clinched their eighth victory of the season.
The Seminoles will return to action Sunday, March 2nd, when they travel to Houston to take on the Rice Owls. The match is scheduled for a 10:00 am start.
1. Tantee/Gheorghe (FSU) def. Mulec/Moncolova (BU) 8-5
2. Moldovan/Lawrence (FSU) def.Blahutiakova/Alison Bradley (BU) 8-6
3. Denny/Cordell (FSU) def. Balzert/Potapova (BU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Mihaela Moldovan (FSU) def, Vida Mulec (BU) 6-1, 2-6
2. Anna Moncolova (BU) def. Daniela Gheorghe (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Christina Denny (FSU) def. Stephanie Balzert (BU) 2-6, 5-7
4. Daria Potapova (BU) def. Brooke Cordell (FSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Izabela Mijic (BU) def. Amberly Tantee (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alina Mihailescu (FSU) def. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,2,1,3,6*,4
* Clinching match