March 2, 2003
The Florida State women’s tennis team traveled to Houston Sunday, March 2nd, to take on the Rice Owls. The Seminoles completed their weekend road trip to Texas with a 4-3 victory at the Jake Hess Tennis Stadium on the campus of Rice University. With the win over the Owls, the Tribe improves to 9-3 on the season, while Rice falls to 6-6.
Florida State earned the first point of the day, as the Seminoles took two of three doubles matches from the Owls. Sophomores Mihaela Moldovan and Beth Lawrence, playing at the No. 2 position, overpowered Karen Chao and Jeri Gonzales of Rice, 8-2. In No. 3 doubles, Florida State’s Brooke Cordell and Christina Denny knocked off Yasmin Fisher and Erika Villalobos by a score of 8-2. Rice earned their only doubles victory, as Daniela Gheorghe and Amber Tantee fell to Lauren Archer and Blair DiSesa, 8-1.
The Seminoles and Owls split singles competition, which was enough to give the Seminoles a 4-3 victory. At the No. 1 position, Moldovan defeated Archer of Rice by scores of 6-2, 6-2. Alina Mihailescu beat Rice’s Annie Goodrich in No. 6 singles, 7-6 (5), 6-1.
The Tribe allowed Rice to tie the score at three, as the Owls won three matches in singles play. Florida State’s Denny fell to DiSesa in No. 2 singles by scores of 7-5, 0-6, 6-2. In No. 4 singles, Tantee took Chao of Rice to three sets, but could not hang on, as she fell, 7-6 (4), 6-7 (5), 6-1. Cordell, playing at the No. 5 position, fell to Rice’s Fisher, 6-4, 7-5.
The match would be decided by the result of a battle, which took place on court three. Florida State’s Gheorghe dominated the first set, as she defeated Gonzales by a score of 6-2. The second and third sets were a lot closer than the first. In the second set, Gonzales defeated Gheorghe, 7-5. Gheorghe clinched the match in the third set, as she defeated Gonzales by a score of 7-6 (6).
The Seminoles will return to action Saturday, March 8th, when the Jaguars of South Alabama visit the Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The match is scheduled to begin at 11:00 am.
Final Box Score:
Florida State 4
1) Mihaela Moldovan (FSU) def. Lauren Archer (RICE); 6-2, 6-2
2) Blair DiSesa (RICE) def. Christina Denny (FSU); 7-5, 0-6, 6-2
3) Daniela Gheorghe (FSU) def. Jeri Gonzales (RICE); 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6)
4) Karen Chao (RICE) def. Amberly Tantee (FSU); 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (5-7), 6-1
5) Yasmin Fisher (RICE) def. Brooke Cordell (FSU); 6-4, 7-5
6) Alina Mihailescu (FSU) def. Annie Goodrich (RICE); 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
1) L. Archer/B. DiSesa (RICE) def. D. Gheorghe/A. Tantee (FSU), 8-1
2) B. Lawrence/M. Moldovan (FSU) def. K. Chao/J. Gonzales (RICE), 8-2
3) B. Cordell/ C. Denny (FSU) def. Y. Fisher/E. Villalobos (RICE), 8-2