LAKE NONA, Fla. – In front of a packed crowd of over 2,000 people, the Florida State women’s tennis team defeated the No. 3 and defending national champion Florida Gators. The Noles got off to a hot start and did not look back as they dominated the Gators 4-1.
“There is nothing like beating the Gators,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “Anytime you can step up and beat the defending national champions says a lot about the program. These kids battled. They have been preparing all week and have been so focused and ready for the moment. They were poised. I could not be prouder of the team today.”
The Seminoles got off to a hot start taking the doubles point from the No. 3 Gators. The Garnet and Gold were tied 1-1 after a loss on court one 6-4 and a win on court two 6-2. With the doubles point up for grab senior Gabby Castaneda and sophomore Nandini Das in her first match of the spring came up big. The two were able to give the Noles a 1-0 advantage with a 6-4 win on court 3.
This was the second time Florida State has taken the doubles point against a Top-5 team.
Florida State continued their hot start into singles as freshman Petra Hule earned one of the biggest wins of her young career to give the Seminoles a 2-0 lead. She defeated Victoria Emma on court three 6-1, 6-3. Junior Arianna Rahmanparast added to the lead giving the Garnet and Gold a 3-0 lead after a 6-2, 6-3 win on court five. Castaneda lost on court two bringing the Seminole lead to 3-1. Sophomore Andrea Garcia stepped up in a huge moment and clinched her first match of the season with a third set win, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
“It was amazing,” said Garcia. “It wasn’t just my match all my teammates did their job too. I was thinking that I needed to win the match.”
Follow Florida State women’s tennis on Twitter (@FSU_WTennis), Instagram (@fsuwtennis) and like our Facebook page (Facebook.com/FSU.WTennis) to keep up to date with everything about Seminole women’s tennis.
Tennis Match Results
#3 Florida vs Florida State University
Feb. 3, 2018 at Lake Nona, Fla.
(USTA National Center)
Florida State University 4, Florida 1
1. Carla Touly (FS) vs #8 Anna Danilina (UF) DNF
2. #30 Josie Kuhlman (UF) def. Gabriella Castaneda (FS) 6-3, 6-3
3. Petra Hule (FS) def. Victoria Emma (UF) 6-1, 6-3
4. Julia Mikulski (FS) vs. McCartney Kessler (UF) DNF
5. Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) def. Peggy Porter (UF) 6-2, 6-3
6. Andrea Garcia (FS) vs. Katie Kubicz (UF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
1. Anna Danilina/Victoria Emma (UF) def. Andrea Garcia/Petra Hule (FS) 6-4
2. Carla Touly/Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) def. Josie Kuhlman/McCartney Kessler (UF) 6-2
3. Gabriella Castaneda/Nandini Das (FS) def. Katie Kibicz/Peggy Porter (UF) 6-4