March 10, 2003
The Florida State women’s tennis team traveled to Miami Monday, March 10th, to take on the Golden Panthers of Florida International. The Seminoles fell behind early after losing the doubles portion of the match, but were victorious by a score of 4-3. With the win the Tribe improves to 10-4, while Florida International falls to 3-9.
The Seminoles got off to a slow start in their match with the Golden Panthers. Florida State’s Brooke Cordell and Christina Denny defeated Davina Duronio and Courtney Jonson in No. 3 doubles, 8-4. Amber Tantee and Daniela Gheorghe, playing at the No. 1 position, fell to Mei Ly and Bruna Discordia of Florida International by a score of 8-5. In No. 2 doubles, Mihaela Moldovan and Beth Lawrence allowed Christine Suard and Desanka the second point in doubles action, as the Golden Panther pair won 8-4.
Florida State faced the challenge of winning four of six singles matches, after losing the first point of the day. It proved they were up to the challenge, as Seminoles were victorious at the one, two, four and five positions. Moldovan, playing at the No. 1 position, defeated Florida International’s Ly, 6-2, 7-5. Florida State’s Denny knocked off Jovanovic in the clinching match at the No. 2 position by scores of 6-4, 1-6, 6-3. In No. 4 singles, Tantee defeated Suard of Florida International, 6-3, 7-5. In No. 5 singles, Florida State’s Alina Mihailescu fell in the first set of a three set match, but dominated the second two sets, as she defeated Duronio, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1. Gheorghe fell to Discordia of Florida International at the No. 3 position, 7-5, 6-1. Cordell was defeated by Jonson in No. 6 singles by scores of 6-2, 6-3.
The Seminoles will return to action Saturday, March 15th, when they host the Cavaliers of Virginia in their first ACC match of the season. The match is scheduled for a 10:00 am start at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Final Box Score:
Florida State 4
Florida International 3
1. Discordia/Ly (FIU) def. Gheorghe/Tantee (FSU) 8-5.
2. Suard/Jovanovic (FIU) def. Moldovan/Lawrence (FSU) 8-4.
3. Denny/Cordell (FSU) def. Duronio/Jonson (FIU) 8-4.
1. Mihaela Moldovan (FSU) def. Mei Ly (FIU) 6-2, 7-5.
2. Christina Denny (FSU) def. Desanka Jovanovic (FIU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
3. Bruna Discordia (FIU) def. Daniela Gheorghe (FSU) 7-5, 6-1.
4. Amberly Tantee (FSU) def. Christine Suard (FIU) 6-3, 7-5.
5. Alina Mihailescu (FSU) def. Davina Duronio (FIU) def. 5-7, 6-1, 6-1.
6. Courtney Jonson (FIU) def. Brooke Cordell (FSU) 6-2, 6-3.