Oct. 17, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Seminoles’ freshmen women’s tennis players showed their worth on day two of the Seminole Quad Tournament by dominating singles including a defeat of the No. 10 player in the nation- Fani Chifchieva of Auburn. Florida State will continue to battle Auburn, FIU and Iowa in the last day of the tournament and enters day three with five players in the top ten of the tournament.
“There were quite a few highlights from today’s matches, including again the performance of our two freshmen Amy and Francesca,” stated head coach Jennifer Hyde. “Fran beat a very seasoned and experienced player who is ranked No. 10 in the nation, and Amy dominated her opponent again today. It’s great for your freshmen to step up and play big, regardless of the time of year.”
Freshman Francesca Segarelli came out upsetting the No. 10 player in the nation, Fani Chifchieva of Auburn, 6-1, 6-2 in a very dominating match. After the second day of competition, she is currently in first place in the singles draw with 12 points. Fellow freshman Amy Sargeant also won her match 6-2, 6-4 against Caroline Thornton of Auburn. Sargeant is sitting in third place with 8 points.
“Jess continued with her consistent play and did a great job taking care of business,” continued Coach Hyde. “Katie played a solid match and bounced back after a tough loss yesterday.”
Jessica Sucupira won her second match of the tournament 6-4, 6-3 against Daniela Vikodinovic of Auburn to take fifth place in the tournament. After falling yesterday, Katie Rybakova came back with vengeance defeating Auburn’s Myrthe Melenveld 6-1, 6-1 to place eighth. Federica Suess, currently in tenth place, continued her success from earlier in the day by beating Auburn’s Paulina Schipper 5-7, 6-0, 6-0.
“Fede worked through some kinks in a bit of a lopsided match,” said Coach Hyde. “But she did a fine job putting a stamp on our last match of the day.”
Suess was able to come in and win both of her doubles matches of the day. She teamed up with Sucupira to defeat Maria Vallasciani and Magali Holt of FIU 8-2. Suess then teamed up with Sargeant to defeat Jessica Young and Klockenga of Iowa 9-7.
The Seminoles will be back on the court Sunday morning beginning at 9am. Fans are encouraged to come be part of the action as admission is free at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
1) Sonja Molnar/Lynne Peggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Francessa Segarelli/Katie Rybakova (FSU) 9-7
2) Beelan/Zuzi Chmelarova (IOWA) def. Bonny Davidson/Jessica Sucupira (FSU) 9-7
3) Federica Suess/Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Jessica Young/Klockenga (Iowa) 9-7
1) Mariana Muci/Chrissie Seredni (FIU) def. Francesca Segarelli/Bonny Davidson (FSU) 9-8 (8-6)
2) Priscilla Castillo/Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Amy Sargeant/Katie Rybakova (FSU) 8-4
3) Jessica Sucupira/Federica Suess (FSU) def. Maria Vallasciani/Magali Holt (FIU) 8-2
1) Mariana Muci/Chrissie Seredni (FIU) def. Fani Chifchieva/Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 8-5
2) Priscilla Castillo/Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Daniela Vukadinovic (AUB) 9-8 (7-5)
3) Caroline Thornton/Paulina Schippers (AUB) def. Maria Vallasciani/Magali Holt (FIU) 8-1
1) Molnar/Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Chifchieva/Molenvela (AUB) 9-7
2) Beelen/Chmelarova (IOWA) def. Thornton/Schippers (AUB) 8-1
3) Young/Klockenga (IOWA) def. Hastenruth/Korteva (AUB) 9-7
1) Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Fani Chifchieva (AUB) 6-1, 6-2
2) Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Myrthe Melenveld (AUB) 6-1, 6-1
3) Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Caroline Thornton (AUB) 6-2, 6-4
4) Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Daniela Vukudinovic (AUB) 6-4, 6-3
5) Federica Suess (FSU) def. Paulina Schipper (AUB) 5-7, 6-0, 6-0
6) Plamena Kurteva (AUB) def. Bonny Davidson (FSU) 5-2 [DEF]
1) Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Chrissie Seredni (FIU) 6-2, 1-6, 10-8
2) Mariana Muci (FIU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) 3-6, 6-2, 10-3
3) Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Zuzi Chmelarova (Iowa) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4) Jil Hastenrath (AUB) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-3, 6-1
5) Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-2)
6) Kelcia Klock (Iowa) def. Magali Holt (FIU) 6-0, 6-3