June 2, 2010
NORWICH, Conn. – Tenth-ranked Florida State (42-17) arrived in Norwich, Conn., Wednesday evening as the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Norwich Regional. The Seminoles will open the postseason tournament against fourth-seeded Central Connecticut State (33-21) on Friday, June 4 at 2:00 p.m.
Joining the Seminoles and Blue Devils in Norwich this weekend are No. 2 seeded Connecticut (47-14) and No. 3 seeded Oregon (38-22).
Of the three schools in the Norwich Regional, Florida State has only faced Connecticut with the Huskies winning the only meeting back in 1953. UConn defeated FSU 5-3 in Omaha, Neb., eliminating the Noles from the College World Series.
The Seminoles and Blue Devils will square-off for the first time in school history. The Seminoles own a record of 5-0-0 all-time against current schools from the Northeast Conference. CCSU becomes the first school from the NEC that FSU will face in the NCAA Tournament.
FSU’s game against Central Connecticut State will mark the 40th time that the Seminoles will face a team for the first time in the NCAA Tournament. FSU is 26-13 all-time when facing a team for the first time in the postseason.
The Seminoles will hit the field for a mandatory practice on Thursday, June 3 beginning at 11:30 a.m. on Dodd Memorial Stadium. Practices for all four schools are open to the public.
FSU In The NCAA Tournament
* This is Florida State’s 33rd consecutive trip to the NCAA Regional, which is the second-longest streak in the nation behind only Miami (38).
* Overall, this is Florida State’s 48th NCAA Regional, which is the second-most ever trailing only Texas. The Seminoles and Longhorns are the only two schools to make 40 or more tournament appearances.
* The Seminoles are 157-106 all-time in NCAA Tournament play, a record that includes 19 trips to the College World Series (25-38).
* FSU will hit the road to play in a regional for just the eighth time since the NCAA Tournament moved to regional sites in 1975. The last time FSU was on the road for a regional was in 2006 when the Garnet and Gold played in the Athens, Georgia Regional. The Seminoles finished the Athens Regional with a 2-2 record.
* Only three teams (Miami, Texas and Southern California) have more wins in NCAA Tournament play and the College World Series than Florida State and only nine schools in all of college baseball have more than 100 wins in postseason play:
Texas – 215
Southern California – 171
Miami, Fla. – 171
Florida State – 157
Arizona State – 146
Oklahoma State – 134
Cal State Fullerton – 134
Stanford – 128
LSU – 122
FSU vs. CCSU
* Florida State and Central Connecticut will open the Norwich Regional on Friday, June 4 squaring-off for the first time in school history.
* Despite the two schools never facing each other, there is a bit of history that exists between the two schools.
* CCSU’s head coach Charlie Hickey was the head coach of the 1999 Providence College team that finished second in the Tallahassee Regional – the same year the baseball program was discontinued.
* In 1999, Hickey led the Friars to their first Big East Conference championship since 1992. In three years at Providence, Hickey went 106-61.
For complete game notes from the NCAA Norwich Regional see the PDF listed above.