Oct. 10, 2008
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Ninth-ranked Florida State (9-2-1, 3-1-0 ACC) wraps up its three-game road swing this weekend as the Seminoles head south to face intra-state rival Miami (7-5-2, 0-3-1 ACC) at 12 noon on Sunday, October 12. The Seminoles are coming off back-to-back 1-0 victories at Maryland and Boston College and are currently riding a six-game road unbeaten streak on the year posting a record of 5-0-1.
Florida State Seminole Soccer Information
Sunday, October 12, 12:00 pm EST
#9 Florida State (9-2-1, 3-1-0 ACC) at Miami (7-5-2, 0-3-1 ACC)
Series Record: FSU leads 8-2-0; the Seminoles lead 4-1-0 in Coral Gables, Fla.
Live Stats: Gametracker
* Sunday’s match marks the 11th meeting between the Seminoles and Hurricanes as these two teams have never faced each other more than once in the 13 previous seasons of Seminole Soccer.
* Florida State has won eight straight over Miami after the Hurricanes took the first two games of the series which started in 1998. The Seminoles are a perfect 4-0 since Miami joined the ACC in 2004 outscoring the Hurricanes 10-2.
* During the current eight game winning streak, FSU has outscored UM 25-6. The Seminoles have not allowed more than one goal to the Hurricanes since 2000 while posting shutouts in two of the last four games.
* FSU visits Miami for the sixth time overall and for the first time since back-to-back seasons in 2004 and 2005. FSU has won four straight against Miami on their home turf.
SEMINOLE QUICK HITS
* The Florida State soccer team is `Painting the Plex Pink’ for Breast Cancer Awareness on Thursday, October 16 when the Seminoles square-off against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons at 7:00 p.m. at the Seminole Soccer Complex. Fans are encouraged to come out and help raise funds to support a great cause. Game jerseys worn by the Seminoles on Thursday will be auctioned off online at Seminoles.com. Proceeds from the game will go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
* Sweet 16’s – Florida State currently ranks 16th nationally in scoring offense and goals against average. The Seminoles are averaging 2.67 goals per game, while posting a goals against average of 0.569. The Seminoles sit fourth in the ACC in points per game and goals per game, third in shots per game and tied for third in assists per game. Sophomore Sanna Talonen ranks among the ACC leaders in points per game and goals per game. Goalkeeper Kate Milstead ranks 25th nationally with a GAA of 0.625.
* Six freshmen have combined for 42 starts in 2008. Tori Huster leads all Seminole freshmen with 11 starts followed by Tiffany McCarty and Ella Stephan 10 starts apiece. Stephan leads this year’s freshmen class in minutes played with 823.
* Sophomore Sanna Talonen recorded her 25th career goal in Florida State’s 1-0 overtime victory over Maryland. The goal moved Talonen into sole possession of sixth place all-time for career goals. The goal was also her fourth game-winner in 2008 and 10th of her career.
* Senior captain Sarah Wagenfuhr pushed her consecutive point streak to three games tallying back-to-back game-winning assists in a pair of 1-0 road victories over Maryland and Boston College. With assists in the last three games, Wagenfuhr became just the ninth player in school history to register three assists in a single-season in ACC play.
* The Seminoles put together consecutive shutout victories in league play for just the fourth time in school history following last week’s back-to-back 1-0 wins over Maryland and Boston College.
For Complete Notes please see the above PDF.