TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida State’s annual National Signing Day party, held each year at the Tallahassee Antique Car Museum, has become as much a tradition under coach Jimbo Fisher as the Seminoles’ prowess on the recruiting trail.
Hours after signing yet another universally acclaimed class, Fisher and his assistants gathered to talk about the newest Noles, share stories from the road and take a few lighthearted jabs at each other.
Here are some highlights:
1) Jimbo Fisher on National Signing Day: “This is like Christmas to coaches. We lost the whole Santa Claus thing as we got older. So, for us, Christmas is National Signing Day. That’s when we get our presents.”
2) Jimbo Fisher on his coaching staff: “Now, unfortunately for the wives, they have to learn how to live with their husbands again. They’ve been gone for six months so that will be a transition for them. And I’ll tell you what ladies, you can have them.”
3) Jimbo Fisher on recruiting: “You have to have the ingredients to bake the cake. And the recruiting and the getting these players here, those are the ingredients that you have. And as long as you have those ingredients, the cake usually comes out tasting pretty good. And after today, I think the cake ought to taste pretty good. I’ll tell you that.”
4) Randy Sanders on left-handed QB Bailey Hockman: “People say, ‘Is it hard to coach a left-hander?’ No. I don’t demonstrate anyway. I just tell ‘em what to do. He just has to flip things around.”
5) Jay Graham on RB Cam Akers: “If he was a couple inches taller, he’d be a pretty good quarterback. But we like him at running back.”
7) Lawrence Dawsey on WR D.J. Matthews “When I went and watched him as a freshman, I came back and told Jimbo about this young man – ‘This is going to be one we’re going to want’ – because he was special.”
7) Jimbo Fisher on FSU’s recruiting philosophy: “We have selfless coaches. They don’t care who gets the credit for recruiting a guy. If one guy’s got a personality with a guy and recruits him and the other guy doesn’t, it doesn’t matter. As long as Florida State gets him. And that’s one of the keys of this staff. We don’t have egos and anything like that. We have guys that truly believe in Florida State.”
8) Tim Brewster on TE Alex Marshall: “This is ‘Baby Gronk.’ He’s 6-foot-7, 254 pounds and his ceiling is through the roof. He’s just got to be coached. I’ve got to earn my money with this guy. And I will.”
9) Tim Brewster on Jimbo Fisher: “We have the hardest working, best recruiting head coach in America. Make no mistake about it. I love going into homes with Jimbo. There’s some head coaches you don’t love so much to go in that home with. I’m so blessed and so fortunate to be here at Florida State University.”
10) Bill Miller on the culture at Florida State: “You know, there’s some things you just can’t fake. The key to this whole deal is that you can’t wait to get in the office in the morning. And as long as you have that, and that type of mentality, this thing is going to ride for a long, long time. And I’m really proud to be here.”