April 19, 2013
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 30 Florida State men’s tennis team played No. 1 Virginia on Friday but lost to the undefeated Cavaliers 7-0. Although the Seminoles fell to 17-8 on the year, the doubles tandem of Dominic Cotrone and Blake Davis upset the No. 1 doubles team in the nation at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
“We did some very good things today,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “When you beat the No. 1 doubles team in the country it is an outstanding win. I thought a couple of our guys played great matches today. We had some shots, but Virginia deserves to be the number one team in the country. They are so good up top. Hopefully we can rebound and win on Sunday.”
Starting the day at doubles, Florida State lost on courts two and three as Virginia clinched the doubles point, but court one had a different outcome. The No. 42 duo of Davis and Cotrone came out strong and completely dominated the No. 1 team of Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger to win 8-2. The duo is now 11-2 on the season.
“We played really well,” said Davis. “We came out there ready to play and very excited. We made a goal early on when we started to get a streak going that we wanted to make the NCAA Individual Tournament, it’s kind of a long shot, but I feel like we made a good step towards it today.”
In singles play, the No. 1, No. 2, No. 23 and No. 36 players in the nation all played for Virginia and showed how good they were by winning all four of those matches in two sets. On court five, freshman Michael Rinaldi played strong in his second set against Julen Uriguen but ultimately fell 6-2, 7-5. On court six, Cristian Gonzalez Mendez fell in the first set but bounced back to win a second set tiebreaker. He lost in a third set tiebreaker to Justin Shane 6-4, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (10-5).
The Seminoles take on Virginia Tech at noon on Sunday. Senior Day activities will be held between doubles and singles. For more information, check back to Seminoles.com. You can also follow the team at Twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
No. 1 Virginia 7, No. 30 Florida State 0
1. #42 Blake Davis/Dominic Cotrone (FS) def. #1 Jarmere Jenkins/Mac Styslinger (VA) 8-2
2. #21 Alex Domijan/Mitchell Frank (VA) def. #58 Andres Bucaro/Benjamin Lock (FS) 8-4
3. #75 Justin Shane/Julen Uriguen (VA) def. Anderson Reed/Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #1 Jarmere Jenkins (VA) def. #95 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 6-3, 6-2
2. #2 Alex Domijan (VA) def. Benjamin Lock (FS) 6-2, 6-3
3. #36 Mitchell Frank (VA) def. Anderson Reed (FS) 6-1, 6-2
4. #23 Mac Styslinger (VA) def. Blake Davis (FS) 6-4, 7-5
5. Julen Uriguen (VA) def. Michael Rinaldi (FS) 6-2, 7-5
6. Justin Shane (VA) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FS) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (10-5)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1*, 5, 4, 6