MIAMI (AP) — Leticia Romero had a career-high 19 points with six assists, five rebounds and three steals and No. 14 Florida State eased away in the second half to defeat No. 16 Miami 69-58 on Sunday.
Shakayla Thomas added 15 points and Ivey Slaughter and Adut Bulgak had 10 each for the Seminoles (16-4, 6-1 ACC), who matched their best-ever start in conference play.
Adrienne Motley had 20 points and Keyona Hayes had 18 for the Hurricanes (17-3, 5-2).
Bulgak’s basket on the first possession of the second half broke a 31-31 tie. She followed with two free throws on the next possession and then Romero hit a jumper and the Seminoles never trailed. When Motely cut the lead to one, Romero answered with a 3 and FSU led 49-43 after three quarters.
Florida State made 13 of 25 shots from the floor, 3 of 6 behind the arc, in the second half while Miami was 9 of 26, 1 of 7.
POST-GAME NOTES COMPILED BY FSU SPORTS INFORMATION:
· Leticia Romero set a season high with 19 points. Previously she had recorded 18 points in three different games this season.
· FSU shot 52 percent (13-of-25) in the second half, its second consecutive game of shooting 50 percent or more in the final 20 minutes.
· FSU is now 8-1 this season when four or more players score in double figures. They include Romero (19), Shakayla Thomas (15), Ivey Slaughter (10) and Adut Bulgak (10).
· The Seminoles now own a 38-12 all-time series lead in what was the 50thmeeting between the schools.
· Sunday’s game was the fourth time both teams met as ranked opponents. FSU is now 3-1 in those Top 25 games.
· FSU has won eight of its last nine games vs. the Canes.
· The Seminoles move to 20-2 vs. Florida-based opponents since the 2012-13 season.
· Sunday’s game was head coach Sue Semrau’s 30th AP Top 25 win as FSU’s head coach.
· FSU’s 6-1 start in ACC play is now tied for the best seven-game start in program history.
· Junior guard Brittany Brown became the eighth Seminole to record 200+ steals in her career. She now has 201, tied for seventh in program history.
· Since 2008-09, FSU is 79-36 in ACC play.