Dec. 4, 2010
As senior linebacker Kendall Smith was preparing to play in Saturday’s ACC Championship game against Virginia Tech, he found time between studying film and studying for exams to visit with seminoles.com to discuss Florida State’s game against the Hokies.
1. When Kendall Smith is not playing football, he is ___________.
a. Probably home, playing video games, hanging out with friends (mainly teammates)
2. What’s your favorite video game?
a. NCAA 2010. I like to play with Florida State.
3. What does it mean to reach the ACC Championship Game as a senior after not making it in your first three years?
a. It means a lot to me to have an opportunity to play in this game and doing
what we’ve been trying to do for the past three years is a goal of mine that I’m actually living. So, I’m very proud of myself and my teammates and the coaching staff.
4. What is your greatest off-the-field accomplishment so far in life?
a. I’m about to graduate in just a few weeks and to get my degree and to have my family and mainly my mom with me.
5. Do you prefer cold or hot weather?
a. I prefer cold weather because I sweat a lot.
6. Do you prefer day or night games and why?
a. I prefer night games because it seems like the atmosphere reminds me of my high school days.
7. How big of an effect does playing in front of a full and supportive stadium have on you?
a. It has a great effect. You get to take advantage of them on the defensive side of the ball. Knowing that you have fans in the stadium that are supporting you and screaming and yelling just gives you energy and pumps you up.
8. How big was it for you to beat Florida in your playing career at FSU?
a. It was a big deal to me. It was great. Beating Florida and being the state champions and having the opportunity to go back home and rub it in to some of my friends and family that are Florida fans back home.
9. What are three things you’d take with you if you were stuck on a desert island?
a. An endless supply of water, an endless supply of food and… this is a tough one; I’ll have to get back to you about that one.
10. What is the biggest difference that Coach Hudson has made to you personally?
a. The biggest difference is that he’s a player’s coach, so he definitely lets us know anything that we need from him and he’ll try to get us to do it. He’s just opened up the big picture for me and let me know that football is not always the only thing I should focus on and put my main focus into. The real world is out there, so he’s definitely let us know that. Getting our degree should be the main priority in life, not [playing football] here at Florida State.
11. How do you feel the strength/nutrition program has benefitted you this late into the season?
a. It has definitely benefitted me a lot in maintaining my weight and just staying healthy and not fat and sluggish out on the field.
12. What are your greatest fears in life?
a. Not to be successful.
13. Pregame in the locker room in Charlotte, what will you be doing to prepare yourself?
a. Just thinking about my keys and just praying to God to keep me and my team healthy and the team we are playing against healthy; for us to have a great game and play with our best effort. I’ll just be thinking about what I’m going to do to help my team win this game.