March 11, 2007
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – No. 27 Florida State (9-3, 2-1) has been knocking on the doors of top 15 teams all season, today, Sunday, March 11, the Seminoles won against No. 14 Wake Forest (6-3, 1-2) in a dogfight, 4-3 at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Today had its share of excitement with the winning point coming down to the final singles match between a freshman and a senior on court two. No. 62 freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) defeated No. 100 senior Ashlee Davis 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 to clinch the Seminoles’ victory.
“It just felt good today to come out and win the match; win it for my team, not necessarily for me but to clinch it for the team,” stated Macfarlane. “It’s so exciting to be part of a team where we all work together because every match we play, whether we won or lost, has all been a team effort.”
Winning 7-5, 6-4 in singles was No. 82 sophomore Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) in the three spot against No. 101 Christian Tara. Junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) followed suit and defeated her opponent Ana Jerman 6-3, 6-2 on court four.
Earlier in the day, the Seminoles won the doubles point with a pair of victories. Senior Nicola Slater (Ayr, Scotland) and Walter defeated Davis and Alexandra Hirsch. The Seminoles were leading 7-4 when the Demon Deacons came back to tie the match 8-8. In the tiebreaker, Florida State came up with the win to finish 9-8 (7-5).
On court three, senior Miranda Foley (Cambridge, England) and freshman Jessica Wente (Whitehouse, Texas) were down 4-1, but fought back and won five straight games to win 8-5 against Sierra Poske and Christine Simpson.
“I’m happy for the girls because they are the ones putting the work in and committing themselves to this program and to this season,” stated head coach Jennifer Hyde. “I’m more happy than anything for them to have gotten over that hump and now it is just imperative that we work that much harder to stay here.”
Since 1985 the Seminoles have begun the season 9-3 five times, including this season, most recently in 2003. This is the best start under head coach Jennifer Hyde.
The Seminoles take off the next weekend and will return to play on March 23 in Clemson and in Georgia Tech on March 25.
No. 27 Florida State 4, No. 14 Wake Forest 3
1. No. 23 Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Alexandra Hirsch/Ashlee Davis (WF) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Ana Jerman /Sasha Kulilova (WF) def. Lauren Macfarlane/Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Miranda Foley/Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Sierra Poske/Christine Simpson (WF) 8-5
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. No. 58 Alexandra Hirsch (WF) def. No. 98 Nicola Slater (FSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 62 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) def. No. 100 Ashlee Davis (WF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. No. 82 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. No. 101 Christian Tara (WF) 7-5, 6-4
4. Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Ana Jerman (WF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sierra Poske (WF) def. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
6. Sasha Kulilova (WF) def. Jessica Wente (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,6,4,3,5,2