Nov. 19, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida State’s Tiffany McCarty was named one of 38 finalists for the Soccer News Net Player of the Year Award in 2009.
The editors of each of the six sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to six local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the regional player of the year award. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site’s coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. A dozen additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations.
McCarty, who was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year and a first team All-ACC honoree in 2009, is currently tied for the team lead with 40 points. The sophomore forward has registered 17 goals and six assists in 23 games for the Seminoles this year. Earlier this year, McCarty became the single-season record holder for points (20) in ACC play at FSU surpassing Sanna Talonen who achieved the record with 19 points a season ago. McCarty is already the all-time career holder at Florida State with 31 points in ACC games, while she is tied for the school record with 12 goals and second in assists with seven.
Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player. Voting began on Tuesday, November 10 and will continue until December 15, and will be conducted on the following websites:
Big Apple Soccer (www.bigapplesoccer.com)
ChicagoLand Soccer News (www.chicagolandsoccernews.com)
LA Soccer News (www.lasoccernews.com)
New England Soccer News www.newenglandsoccernews.com)
Philly Soccer News (www.phillysoccernews.com)
Dallas Soccer News. (www.dallassoccernews.com)
Online fan voting will account for 40 percent of the total toward the award, while the remaining 60 percent of the vote will be cast by the editorial staffs of the six web sites.
Fans are encouraged to log-on to the link listed below and vote for McCarty as the 2009 Soccer News Net Player of the Year: