April 9, 2002
CLEMSON, SC – The Florida State men’s tennis team remains undefeated in conference play after a 6-1 victory over the 56th ranked Clemson Tigers. The Seminoles move to 11-3 on the season. The Seminoles have already accumulated more wins this season than last season, as they finished with a 10-14 record. The 11-3 start is the Seminoles best since the 1995 season.
In doubles action, the Seminoles won the no. 1 and no 3 doubles matches to take the first point of the match. Romain Jurd and Gustav Bucht defeated Jamin Thompson at the no. 3 doubles position, 8-4. In a closer match, at the no. 1 position, Xavier Luscan and Rodrigo Laub defeated Marko Gojanovic and Goran Sterijovski 9-7.
In singles action, the Seminoles won five of six singles matches in the victory. At the no. 1 position, Luscan, ranked 41st nationally, defeated Jamin Thompson 6-2, 6-0. Jurd won at no. 2 singles, defeating Goran Sterijovski in straight sets (6-1,6-3). Freshman Mat Cloer, sophomore Alex Herrera and Gustav Bucht also won in singles for the Seminoles.
The Seminoles return to action Friday, March 15th as they travel to Arizona State to take on the Sun Devils. That match is scheduled to begin at 1:30 PM MT.
Florida State 6
1. Xavier Luscan (FSU) d. Jamin Thompson (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Romain Jurd (FSU) d. Goran Sterijovski (CU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Mat Cloer (FSU) d. Marko Gojanovic (CU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Nathan Thompson (CU) d. Chip Webb (FSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Alex Herrera (FSU) d. Sander Koning (CU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Gustav Bucht (FSU) d. Madreadi Skinner (CU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Luscan/Laub (FSU) d. Gojanovic/N. Thompson (CU) 9-7
2. Koning/Sterijovski (CU) d. Herrera/Cloer (FSU) 8-3
3. Bucht/Jurd (FSU) d. J. Thompson/Skinner (CU) 8-4