Oct. 15, 2007
· The ACC announced on Monday that the FSU/Duke game will be broadcast at 8:00 p.m. on ESPNU.
· After specialty, the team spent a large part of the practice working versus
· In pass skel Michael Ray Garvin broke up two passes while Jamie Robinson and Derek Nicholson recorded PBU’s as well. Xavier Lee connected on passes to Greg Carr and Preston Parker. Drew Weatherford completed a couple as well to Rod Owens and Joslin Shaw.
· In pass rush the defensive line had a good day. Seven different guys won individual battles. Emmanuel Dunbar, Letroy Guion and Budd Thacker recorded more than one win while Paul Griffin, Justin Mincey, Eli Charles and Neefy Moffett also got to the QB. Daron Rose carried the torch for the offense winning three battles and Ryan McMahon picked up a win as well.
· 11-on-11 was spent working in down and distance. Parker and Antone Smith both turned in nice runs. Lee completed the biggest pass of the drill connecting with Richard Goodman deep. Lee and Parker also hooked up. Weatherford and Shaw once again connected in another drill. Justin Mincey batted a pass down at the line for the defense and Toddrick Verdell and J.R. Bryant both had great reads on plays to turn what looked to be big gainers into stops.
Head Coach Bobby Bowden
“Budd Thacker worked today and Andre Fluellen worked about half the day; I think he’s okay but we’re just holding him out on some stuff. David Overmyer worked today and you know Marcus Ball is out with a sprained ankle and Rodney Hudson is out.”
On looking ahead at
On the feeling of neither team being ranked when the teams meet:
“A lot like us, some inconsistency at quarterback. It’s just a matter of executing, both of us need to execute better. We look at our problems out there, it’s little things, not big things. Get the little things right and we’d be alright.”
Xavier Lee (QB):
On whether or not Coach Jimbo Fisher has been hard on the quarterbacks:
“He is a very demanding coach, but at the same time at the quarterback position you can be scrutinized that much more. He’s just preparing us for the worst. Whatever he thinks is fair and right to do I’m pretty sure he’ll do it.”
On the difference between the first and second half against
“We came out firing and then the third quarter came up and we got into a lull.
Budd Thacker (DT):
On his status for the
“It’s a game time decision. I was able to do everything except the last two periods of practice against the first team offense. I did all the scout work. I felt pretty good, should be close to 100% pretty soon.”
On the disappointment of not getting in the game against
“I was pretty upset, but it was a decision the coaches made. I was just upset but there’s nothing you can do about it so it’s all good. Playing on the turf isn’t the best thing for a hurt toe and I know the coaches wanted to keep me away from the turf if they could.”