May 28, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The second half of the baseball season begins Friday afternoon on Mike Martin Field inside Dick Howser Stadium as Florida State (42-16) opens the 2009 NCAA Tallahassee Regional against Marist College (31-26). The Seminoles are making their 47th NCAA Regional appearance including a current streak of 32 consecutive trips.
Florida State is 155-104 all-time in NCAA Tournament play, a record that includes 19 trips to the College World Series (25-38). Only three teams (Miami, Texas and Southern California) have more wins in NCAA Tournament play and the College World Series than Florida State and only nine schools in all of college baseball have more than 100 wins in postseason play.
Other NCAA Tournament notables:
* FSU is making its 32nd consecutive regional appearance and 47th overall. The Seminoles own an all-time record of 155-104 in the NCAA Tournament including a mark of 130-66 in Regional and Super Regional play.
* The Seminoles are 35-11 all-time in opening round games of the NCAA Regional.
The 2009 NCAA Tallahassee Regional Field welcomes:
No. 1 Florida State – 42-16, 19-9 ACC
No. 2 Georgia – 37-22, 15-15 SEC
No. 3 Ohio State – 40-17, 18-6 Big Ten
No. 4 Marist – 31-26, 15-9 MAAC
* Florida State has posted a combined record of 36-27 against the three schools in the Tallahassee Regional including a mark of 4-5 in the NCAA Tournament. Over 85 percent of the overall games have come against Georgia. FSU is 30-24 against the Bulldogs all-time, 5-3 vs. Ohio State and 1-0 against Marist.
* The ACC is third nationally with seven teams selected to play in the NCAA Regional Tournament. Four of the seven teams earned a No. 1 seed and will serve as a host this weekend while North Carolina was the only league school to earn a top eight national seed.
* Florida State enters the NCAA Tournament having won 15 games in a row at home – the second longest, active streak in the nation trailing only Appalachian State, who has won 16 straight.
*The Seminoles are one of 13 schools to have won 42 or more games in 2009. The Seminoles have finished with 40 plus wins in 32 consecutive seasons.
* Florida State captured its third straight ACC Atlantic Division title in 2009. The Seminoles have won three of the four division crowns since the league moved to divisional play in 2006.
* FSU has recorded seven walk-off victories in 2009 with six different Seminoles coming through with the late inning heroics. Mike McGee, Mike Meschke, Jason Stidham (2), Tommy Oravetz and Ohmed Danesh each have a walk-off hit to their name this year, while Rafael Lopez hit a sac-fly to center.
Florida State vs. Marist Pitching Match-up
Friday, May 29 – 4:00 p.m.
Florida State – LHP, Brian Busch (6-2) vs. Marist – LHP, Josh Rickards (5-3)
NCAA TOURNAMENT WINS
Florida State and Texas are the two most successful programs in the history of college baseball in almost every category and the two powerhouses are once again squaring off in a fight over another record. Coming into the 2009 NCAA Tournament the two teams are first and second for the most program victories in Regional/Super Regional play with FSU (130) and Texas (128). They are the only two schools in NCAA Baseball history with over 125 wins in NCAA Tournament play (not including the World Series). Only three schools have ever won more than 100 Regional/Super Regional games and two are from the state of Florida (FSU & Miami). Texas has been in regional play six more times than the Seminoles giving the Longhorns an average of 2.4 wins per appearance compared to 2.8 for FSU. The Hurricanes lead both schools winning an average of 3.2 games per tournament appearance.
OPENING NCAA TOURNAMENT PLAY
Florida State is 35-11 all-time in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. Prior to last year’s 7-0 defeat at the hands of Bucknell, the Seminoles had won 15 straight regional openers, a streak that dated back to 1993. During that streak the Seminoles were involved in only one game that was decided by a single run (2005 vs. Army). Since 1993, the largest margin of victory was 18 runs performed twice the first coming in 1999 when the Seminoles defeated The Citadel 24-6. In 2006, FSU defeated Jacksonville 18-0 in the opening round in Athens, Ga. Under head coach Mike Martin the Seminoles are 25-4 in the opening game of a regional. Prior to Martin’s arrival, the Seminoles were 11-7.
FSU VERSUS THE TOURNAMENT FIELD
The Seminoles enter the 2009 NCAA Baseball Tournament having played 25 games against eight teams who qualified for this year’s tournament. Overall, FSU went 11-14 versus the 2009 field and 6-7 against four of the 16 No. 1 seeds which include Clemson, North Carolina, Florida and Georgia Tech. FSU posted a .500 or better record against five of the eight teams. FSU posted a 6-5 mark on Mike Martin Field against five of these teams.
For complete notes see the attached PDF.