April 18, 2008
“I thought it was a good day for us,” FSU head coach Dwayne Hultquist said. “The score wasn’t indicative of how close the match really was, but we were fortunate enough to win three matches convincingly.”
“ACC’s is one of the biggest times of year for us,” freshman Clint Bowles said. “We were really played well and we got the job done.”
The Seminoles (19-4, 10-2) came out strong in doubles taking two matches from Duke (9-13, 6-6). FSU started the ball rolling on court one as the 15th ranked duo of sophomore Jean-Yves Aubone and freshman Clint Bowles defeated David Goulet and Christopher Price of Duke 8-5. The Seminoles were able to clinch the point on court three when junior Drew Bailey and sophomore Brad Mixson broke the Blue Devil’s Alex Stone and Dylan Arnould at 7-6 to win 8-6.
“We were in a little bit of trouble to start doubles,” Hultquist said. “I was really pleased for us to get that point.”
“J.Y [Aubone] and I were able to get off the court first and support the other guys,” Bowles said. “I played well today and it felt good.”
In singles FSU got dominating performances from Bowles, Aubone and Mixson to give FSU a 4-0 victory. The 75th ranked Bowles, who was named to the All-ACC team on Thursday dominated on court three defeating Duke’s Kiril Dimitrove 6-2, 6-2. No. 19 Aubone who was also named to the All-ACC team, equaled his teammates effort on court one beating No. 60 Goulet 6-2, 6-2. Mixson sealed the deal for the Seminoles on court three beating Jared Pinsky 6-3, 6-3.
“I thought that Jean-Yves [Aubone] really came out focused today,” Hultquist said. “He and Clint [Bowles] got off the court quick and I thought Brad [Mixson] played as good a match as he had all season.”
“We had a battle with them the first time,” Hultquist said. “I expect
For live match results visit www.seminoles.com.
1. #19 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. #60 David Goulet (DU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #81 Sam Chang (FSU) vs. #70 Reid Carleton (DU) 4-6, 0-6 DNF
3. #75 Clint Bowles (FSU) def. Kiril Dimitrov (DU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Maciek Sykut vs. Dylan Arnould (DU) 2-6, 5-4 DNF
5. Bradley Mixson (FSU) def. Jared Pinskey (DU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Chris Cloer (FSU) vs. Alain Michel (DU) 4-6, 4-1 DNF
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5*
1. #15 Aubone / Bowles (FSU) def. Goulet / Price (DU) 8-5
2. Chang / Sykut (FSU) vs. Carleton / Dimitrov (DU) 7-6 DNF
3. Bailey / Mixson (FSU) def. Stone / Arnould (DU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3*