AUSTIN, TEXAS (AP) – Brooke McCarty returned from a hip injury to score a season-high 24 points, leading No. 8 Texas over No. 12 Florida State 87-72 Sunday.
McCarty, a senior guard, missed one game. She appeared just fine against Florida State, making 10 of 13 shots and adding six assists.
Ariel Atkins had 17 points, eight rebounds and four steals for Texas (9-1). Lashann Higgs had 15 points and four steals, and Jatarie White added 10 points and 12 rebounds.
AJ Alix led Florida State (10-1) with 21 points, including 5 3-pointers, and had eight assists. Shakayla Thomas scored 19.
• AJ Alix’s 21 points scored mark her second 20-point performance of the season. Alix totaled five 3-point field goals made and owns four games this season with 5+ triples.
• Shakayla Thomas became the third player in FSU history to surpass both 1,600+ career points and 700+ field goals made. She joins Sue Galkantas and Natasha Howard.
• FSU recorded 11 3-point field goals, tying for the fifth-most in a game in FSU history.
• FSU had four double-figure scorers in Alix (21), Shakayla Thomas (19), Imani Wright (10) and Nausia Woolfolk (10).
• Florida State’s loss snaps its 10-game win streak to start the season. It was tied for the ninth-longest in program history.
• FSU is now 3-1 this season again ‘Power 5’ opponents. Despite the loss to the Longhorns, it owns wins over Florida (SEC), Iowa (Big Ten) and Arizona State (Pac-12).
• Shakayla Thomas’ double-figure points performance is the 87th of her career.
• Imani Wright and AJ Alix each recorded multiple 3-point field goal games. It is Wright’s ninth of the season and the seventh for Alix.
• FSU totaled 20 personal fouls to Texas’ 10.