TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – No. 13/17 Florida State men’s tennis continued their hot start to the season with two more wins at home, improving their record to 12-1 on the year, and the best start in school history.
“It was a good day for us,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “We saw some signs of getting better.”
Florida State began their day with a 4-0 victory over Florida A&M. The Noles started their day with quick wins on courts one and three in doubles. Freshmen Chase Wood and Sebastian Arcila earned their first doubles win together on court three with a 6-2 win. They were followed up by senior Guy Iradukunda and sophomore Alex Knaff, who earned a 6-3 win on court one.
The Seminoles ran through the Rattlers in singles, winning on courts three, five and six. Sophomore Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar got it started on court three with a quick 6-1, 6-1 win. Arcila followed it up with a straight set win of his won 6-3, 6-0 on court five. Senior Terrance Whitehurst clinched his first match of the season on court six 6-1, 6-1.
Florida State continued their strong showing in their second match of the day against The Citadel. The Garnet and Gold ran through the doubles competition as they won on all three courts. Iradukunda and Knaff earned their third doubles win of the spring and showed why they deserve to be ranked No. 20 in the nation with a 6-0 win on court one. The Whitehurst twins followed them up with a 6-3 win on court two and the freshman duo of Wood and Arcila completed the doubles sweep on court three with a 6-2 win.
Iradukunda continued to show his dominance this season as he earned his 11th win of the year after a 6-4, 6-0 win on court one. Knaff and Wood finished almost simultaneously on courts two and three as they helped clinch the match. For Wood, it was his third match-clinching win of the season. Bhullar added to the Seminoles win making it 5-0 after winning 6-3, 6-2 on court five. Terrell Whitehurst capped the Seminoles 6-1 win with a 6-1, 6-2 win on court four.
“In the second match I was very pleased with how Chase won (6-0, 6-1),” said Hultquist. “He played very aggressive and came forward towards the net. Guy did a great job being down 4-2 and going on to win eight straight games. Alex was sharp in the second match and dominated his opponent. Terrell played well all day and was strong as well. Rana made good work of his opponents as well winning in both of his matches today.”
The Seminoles are off next week and will be back on the court February 24th as they host New Orleans and Liberty in a doubleheader.
To keep up with the Seminoles, check Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information, or keep up with the team on social media through Twitter (@FSU_MTennis), Facebook (/FSUMTennis), and Instagram @FSU_MTennis).
Tennis Match Results
FLORIDA A&M vs Florida State University
Feb 10, 2018 at Tallahassee, Fla.
(Scott Speicher Tennis Center)
#13 Florida State University 4, Florida A&M 0
1. #8 Guy Iradukunda (FS) vs. ADAM,Nourelidin (FAMUM) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
2. #106 Alex Knaff (FS) vs. NANI,Federico (FAMUM) 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. Rana Roop Bhullar (FS) def. HASONA,Samer Hema (FAMUM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Terrell Whitehurst (FS) vs. ESPINOZA,Luis Barres (FAMUM) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
5. Sebastian Arcila (FS) def. Lebelo Alex Mosehle (FAMUM) 6-3, 6-0
6. Terrance Whitehurst (FS) def. STURGIS,Rodney (FAMUM) 6-1, 6-1
1. #20 Guy Iradukunda/Alex Knaff (FS) def. ADAM,Nourelidin/NANI,Federico (FAMUM) 6-3
2. #41 Terrance Whitehurst/Terrell Whitehurst (FS) vs. Le GRAND, Jermaine/Lebelo Alex Mosehle (FAMUM) 4-2, unfinished
3. Chase Wood/Sebastian Arcila (FS) def. STURGIS,Rodney/HASONA,Samer Hema (FAMUM) 6-2
Florida State University 11-1; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,5,6)
#13 Florida State University 6, The Citadel 1
1. #8 Guy Iradukunda (FS) def. Noah Nawabi (CIT) 6-4, 6-0
2. #106 Alex Knaff (FS) def. Matthew Henson (CIT) 6-2, 6-0
3. Chase Wood (FS) def. Roy Hobson (CIT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Jack Pyritz (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Rana Roop Bhullar (FS) def. Will Graham (CIT) 6-3, 6-2
6. Gavin Stewart (CIT) def. Terrance Whitehurst (FS) 6-3, 6-4
1. #20 Guy Iradukunda/Alex Knaff (FS) def. Gavin Stewart/Matthew Henson (CIT) 6-0
2. #41 Terrance Whitehurst/Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Noah Nawabi/Trey Davis (CIT) 6-3
3. Chase Wood/Sebastian Arcila (FS) def. Roy Hobson/Will Graham (CIT) 6-2
Florida State University 12-1; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)