MALIBU, Calif. – The No. 16 Florida State men’s tennis team (17-1) defeated Pepperdine (2-9) 4-0 in Malibu, Calif. to take a 5-4 series lead against the Wave and to improve on their best start in school history.
“It was nice to get another quick win today,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “Pepperdine came ready to compete today and that showed in some of the first sets.”
For the 14th time this season the Seminoles captured the doubles point as they were led by seniors Terrance and Terrell Whitehurst on court three and redshirt seniors Jose Gracia and Lucas Poullain on court two. The Seminoles started out with a 1-0 lead on courts two and three and down 1-0 on court one. On courts two and three the Seminoles extended their lead to 3-0, before finishing off their opponents 6-1 on both courts. Court one did not finish but senior Guy Iradukunda and junior Aziz Dougaz were leading 3-2.
“Doubles was fast, and it was nice to have good wins on courts two and three,” said Hultquist.
With the win by the Whitehurst twins, they moved into a tie for fourth in career doubles wins as a pair at Florida State with 51.
In singles, Dougaz gave the Noles a 2-0 lead with a quick win on court one. He jumped out to an early 2-1 lead in the first set and turned that into a 6-3 first set win. In the second set, Dougaz once again took a 2-1 lead and went on to win 6-2. Poullain gave the Garnet and Gold a 3-0 lead with 6-3, 6-4 win on court two for his 11th win of the season. He also improved to 6-0 on court two. Freshman Sebastian Arcila became the ninth Seminole this season to clinch a match as he never trailed and dominated his opponent on court six 6-4, 6-1. He improved to 5-0 on the season.
“It was nice to see Aziz get a quick win on court one,” said Hultquist. “Sebastian being able to come in and get a good win on court six was nice to see. It shows the depth that we have that he was the ninth different person to clinch a match for us this season.”
Tennis Match Results
Florida State University vs Pepperdine University
Mar 12, 2018 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
Florida State University 4, Pepperdine University 0
1. #87 Aziz Dougaz (FS) def. Esses, Dane (PEP) 6-3, 6-2
2. #56 Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Pane, Lautaro (PEP) 6-3, 6-4
3. Berdusco, Brian (PEP) vs. Jose Gracia (FS) 6-7 (8-10), 2-2, unfinished
4. Khamis, Yusuf (PEP) vs. Alex Knaff (FS) 6-1, 1-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. Mendelsohn, Max (PEP) vs. Rana Roop Bhullar (FS) 6-4, 1-6, 2-1, unfinished
6. Sebastian Arcila (FS) def. Galvao, Felipe (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
1. #74 Aziz Dougaz/Guy Iradukunda (FS) def. Esses, Dane/Pane, Lautaro (PEP) 3-2
2. #18 Jose Gracia/Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Mendelsohn, Max/Khamis, Yusuf (PEP) 6-1
3. #44 Terrance Whitehurst/Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Berdusco, Brian/Garapedian, Scotland (PEP) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,2,6)
Florida State is back home this weekend as they take on Drake Friday, March 16 at 5:30 p.m. and Georgia Tech on Sunday, March 18 at 12:00 p.m.
Records to Watch:
To keep up with the Seminoles, check Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information, or keep up with the team on social media through Twitter (@FSU_MTennis), Facebook (/FSUMTennis), and Instagram @FSU_MTennis).