LAKE NONA, Fla. – The No. 16 Florida State men’s tennis team (16-1) defeated Miami (6-5) 4-0 at the USTA National Campus to earn the crown as State Camps after defeating Florida a few weeks earlier on the same courts.
“Beating both of our rivals here is always good,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “Miami has a bunch of younger guys and they are going to have a great program. Their coach is going to do a good job there.”
The Seminoles got off to a fast start in doubles winning on courts two and three 6-2. Court one was leading 4-3 when the doubles point was clinched. On court three seniors Terrance and Terrell Whitehurst were tied 2-2 before they went on a four-game run to clinch the doubles point. Redshirt seniors Jose Gracia and Lucas Poullain led the whole match.
Florida State took their momentum from the doubles point into singles as they ran through the Hurricanes. The Seminoles won five of the six first sets and were led by Gracia who swept his opponent 6-0 in the first. Not only did he sweep him in the first, he did not allow his opponent to win a game the whole match. Poullain and sophomore Alex Knaff were in a race to see who would give the Noles a 3-0 lead. Poullain finished first as he won on court three 6-3, 6-2. Knaff quickly followed as he clinched the match and secured the Garnet and Gold’s 4-0 victory with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court five. Florida State was leading on two of the other three courts when the match was clinched.
“I was pleased with Lucas today,” said Hultquist. “He lost to that guy in the fall and came back to win 6-3, 6-2. Jose was very sharp today. It is unusual that in a men’s match you win 6-0, 6-0, but he did. He was sharp in doubles as well. We had other matches that we would have had the opportunity to close out as well.”
“It was a good win and a good start in the ACC. Nothing comes easy in the ACC so I am glad we got off to a good start.”
Florida State is back on the court Sunday as they take on Pepperdine in Malibu, Calif.
To keep up with the Seminoles, check Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information, or keep up with the team on social media through Twitter (@FSU_MTennis), Facebook (/FSUMTennis), and Instagram @FSU_MTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Florida State University
Mar 09, 2018 at Lake Nona, Fla.
(USTA National Center)
#16 Florida State University 4, Miami 0
1. #87 Aziz Dougaz (FS) vs. #99 Christian Langmo (UM) 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
2. #16 Guy Iradukunda (FS) vs. Adria Soriano (UM) 6-7 (3-7), 4-3, unfinished
3. #56 Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Bojan Jankulovski (UM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jose Gracia (FS) def. Dane Dunlap (UM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alex Knaff (FS) def. Tatsuki Shimamoto (UM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Chase Wood (FS) vs. Niclas Genovese (UM) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
1. #74 Aziz Dougaz/Guy Iradukunda (FS) vs. Christian Langmo/Dane Dunlap (UM) 4-3, unfinished
2. #18 Jose Gracia/Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Adria Soriano/Bojan Jankulovski (UM) 6-2
3. #44 Terrance Whitehurst/Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Pablo Aycart Joya/Nile Clark (UM) 6-2
Florida State University 16-1; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (2); Singles (4,3,5)