October 12, 2002 - by
No. 17 FSU Stages Comeback But Falls 3-2 To No. 7 Wake In Double OT

Oct. 12, 2002

Box Score

Photo Gallery: FSU vs. Wake

Tallahassee, FL –
For the first time since Patrick Baker took over the FSU soccer program in 1999, the 17th-ranked Seminoles fell in OT as No. 7 Wake Forest scored a golden goal with 1:36 remaining in the game. The Demon Deacons (11-2-1, 2-0-1) stormed out to a two-goal lead but FSU (7-3-3, 1-1-1) staged just the second-ever two-goal comeback in program history to send the Seminoles into extra time for the fifth time this season. With under two minutes remaining though Alena Thom scored her second goal of the game and seventh of the season to give Wake it’s second ACC win of the year.

“I don’t even know what happened at the end,” said Cindy Schofield. “They countered on us after our corner kick and were able to score. I was stunned because this senior class has never lost in overtime. It was a completely different feeling.”

Wake Forest outshot the Semionoles 16 to 10 but FSU held a seven to five edge in shots on goal. The Seminoles held a slim lead in corners (five to four) and were forced to make just three saves compared to five for the Deacs. Seminole keeper Kerry York fell to 7-2-3 on the season while Wake’s Erin Regan improved to 3-1-3.

Wake Forest got off to an early start scoring its first two goals in the first 32 minutes of the half. The Seminoles, who had fallen behind Florida, Clemson and Duke but gone 2-0-1 in those three games, were 2-0 down and had comeback from such a deficit just once in the program’s history. The Deacons outshot FSU 8-2 and had four shots on goal compared to just one for the Seminoles in the first period.

“We’ve had slow starts in a lot of our big games this season,” said head coach Patrick Baker. “We thought we would respond a little bit better tonight and we didn’t. There wasn’t a whole lot of emotion. There wasn’t a whole lot of energy. It toiled on us and you have to give Wake credit. The got in behind us in the first half more than any team has this year. It is tough to dig yourself out of a 2-0 hole.”

Things seemed to start well for FSU as they had the first serious scoring opportunity of the match just seven minutes in. Freshman Leah Gallegos sent Summer Corum down the right sideline where Corum made a dangerous run to goal. Her cross went through the Wake 18-yard box but there was nobody there to latch on to it for FSU.

The Deacons threatened to jump on top in the 14th minute. Katie Johnson collected the ball just outside the FSU penalty box on the left side. She took a couple of steps to get some room and fired a shot to the upper corner of the goal at the near post. York was able to get a fist on it and punch the shot away.

Just five minutes later Wake got on the board. Melanie Schneider and Johnson combined on the left side of the pitch and sent a perfect cross to Thom on the right side of the box. The junior took one touch and beat York near post staking Wake to the 1-0 lead.

Wake added to its lead in the 32nd minute. Schneider ripped a shot from inside the box that rebounded of the crossbar and went right to Sarah Kozey. The freshman was all alone at the top of the box and netted her fourth goal of the season.
“We didn’t step out and play well,” said Schofield. “When we went down 2-0 we finally woke up.”

In the 32nd minute FSU did ‘wake up’ and narrowed the gap. Gallegos sent a ball over the Wake defense that landed at the feet of Schofield at the top of the 18. The 2001 All-ACC first teamer took one touch and fired as the Deacon defense closed on her from behind. Her shot to the near post was the striker’s fifth goal of the season.

“Leah played a great ball in with the outside of her foot behind the defense,” said Schofield. “The keeper stayed on her line so I just tucked it near post. I felt the defense closing in on me. Luckily the keeper stayed on her line because I don’t know if I would have stuck it otherwise.

“That goal before half was huge for us. It is so different to go in down 2-1 rather than 2-0. It was a big momentum swing for us. Going into half we knew we needed just one more to be right back in the game. That helped us a lot and I think that showed by the way we played in the second period.”

The Seminole defense stepped up in the second half and limited Wake to just four shots and none were on frame. Florida State held the Deacons to just two corner kicks and the Seminoles possessed the ball at a much higher percentage.

Just ten minutes in to the second period, FSU looked to even the game. Gallegos sprung defender Kristin Boyce down the left side. The junior served a beautiful ball through the Deacon’s box but once again there was no Seminole player in position to stick it in the back of the Wake net.

The Seminoles looked as if they had the tying goal in the 60th minute. Camie Bybee’s shot from inside the box was blocked and the rebound came to Jez Ratliff. The sophomore one-timed a shot that just sailed wide of the post.

Two minutes later FSU got the equalizer. Defender Ashlee Fontes served a dangerous ball from just inside of midfield into the Wake 18. Senior Jenny Garcia went up to burry the header from about seven yards out but was pulled down before she had the opportunity and FSU was awarded a penalty kick. Schofield stepped to the spot and buried the PK inside the right post bringing the Seminoles back from the 2-0 hole.

“Ashlee played an unbelievable ball in and Jenny went up for it,” said Schofield. “If Jenny wasn’t able to score then the PK was deserved because if she wasn’t clipped I have no doubt she scores. It was a great individual effort on both of their parts and I just stepped up to finish it off.”

The goal inspired the Seminoles as they continued to attack and look for the game-winner. Just moments later Corum almost delivered it. The junior made a spectacular run across the field and split three Wake defenders. She laid the pass off to Marion Cagle streaking down the far side of the field. Cagle went endline and then sent a cross into the box where two Seminoles were waiting at the 6-yard box. Before the service could get there a Deacon defender was just able to block it out of bounds.

Wake had its only serious chance of the half with just over three minutes remaining in regulation as Thom went in search of her second goal. The Jefferson City, MO native picked up the pass about 12 yards out from goal and went in all alone with York. The keeper cut down the angle and Thom’s shot sailed just wide.

“I thought we solved what Wake was doing a little better in the second half,” said Baker. “I think our team showed great resolve coming back from 2-0 down to send the game into overtime. We defended a little bit better and possessed a little bit better and we tied it up. Then the game is in the balance in OT.”

The Seminoles, who had played four overtime games already in 2002, were 1-0-3 in those games and 5-0-7 in extra time under Baker. In the history of the program, FSU had scored five of its seven golden goals versus ACC foes and they went into the extra period looking for number six.

Both teams had a great opportunity to end the match in the first overtime period. Two minutes in, Joline Charlton, who moved up top from her starting spot in the Deacon defense, made a dangerous run into the box on the right side. York charged the senior but Charlton weas able to dribble around the keeper and was staring at a wide open net but from a very tough angle. She opted to serve the ball into the box hoping a teammate could latch on to it but the FSU defense cleared it out.

The Seminoles then looked to end the match just moments later. Meredith Jones took a perfect free kick from the right side of the box and found Boyce right in front of the Wake net about eight yards out. The junior’s header was saved by Regan perserving the tie and sending the game into a second overtime.

Five minutes into the second OT period, Gallegos found Ratliff making a run down the left side. The Oklahoma native cut to the inside of the field taking two Wake defenders with her before she turned endline. Ratliff dribbled around a charging Regan but she was so deep on the field Regan was able to recover and save the shot from about four yards out.

With under two minutes remaining it was Wake’s turn to try to end the match. Schneider broke into the Seminole box and York once again charged out to make the save. The sophomore kepper blocked the shot but the deflection went to a waiting Thom on the left side of the box about 15 yards out. The junior took one look and blasted the ball into the net ending the game with just 1:36 left on the clock.

“Both teams had good chances in the overtime and they just happened to stick theirs,” said Baker. “Wake sticking their chance with under two minutes remaining was just heart-breaking.”

The loss drops FSU to 1-1-1 in the ACC. The Seminoles are now tied for second in the conference with No. 1 North Carolina, Maryland and Clemson as the Tar Heels head to Tallahassee for a Tuesday night meeting with the Seminoles. The win moved Wake into a tie for first with surprising NC State at 2-0-1.

“We knew the winner tonight would jump up with NC State into first place in the conference,” said Baker. “Obviously 2-0-1 is a heck of a lot better that 1-1-1 but I think we have to understand as long as you end up winning more ACC games than you lose, it doesn’t matter where you pick those wins up. You can get them at the front end or the back end. The ACC is so up and down right now and we know that better than anybody. We have played three OT games in the conference and we’ve come out exactly at .500.”

The meeting between UNC and Florida State is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. start at the Seminole Soccer Complex. The Tar Heels opened conference play by losing their first-ever match to NC State and then beating Clemson 2-1 in double OT Saturday night. The last time
North Carolina traveled to Tallahassee, FL, the Seminoles recorded the program’s only win over the most dominant team in women’s soccer 3-2 in overtime.

After Tuesday’s match with UNC, Florida State will continue ACC play next Saturday at NC State. The Wolfpack, who were predicted to finish last in the ACC, are off to a 2-0-1 start in conference play and are currently 7-3-1 on the season.

“We have a chance to change our standing in the conference with two big games next week,” said Baker. “Carolina and NC State are having great years. NC State had a wonderful victory over North Carolina and they have a game with Duke before we meet so it is going to be a tough week for sure.”

Related Articles