March 11, 2008
HOUSTON, Texas – The No. 17-ranked Florida State men’s tennis team improved to 10-2 with a 4-3 victory over No. 11 Rice (9-4) Tuesday afternoon at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium. Freshman Clint Bowles earned his second straight victory over a ranked opponent with a 6-3, 6-3 decision vs. No. 37-ranked Christoph Müller.
In addition to Bowles, Sam Chang (6-2, 3-0) and Brad Mixson (6-4, 6-2) cruised to two-set victories and the match was decided by a hard-fought victory by Maciek Sykut, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 over Rice’s Filip Zivojinovic.
“I thought we did a great job coming back from losing the doubles point,” Seminole head coach Dwayne Hultquist said. “We really jumped to leads on most of the courts and I thought the key match was with Maciek (Sykut) as he was down 4-0 in the first set and fought back and won the fifth game and the tie-breaker and went on to clinch the match. Clint (Bowles), Brad (Mixson) and Sam (Chang), all three of them jumped out to early leads and were able to finish off their matches.
“The other thing I liked was even though it was 4-3, we were in both the other matches so we kind of gave ourselves six opportunities to win the fourth.”
The Seminoles evened their Spring Break record with a 1-1 mark while in
“We played two teams in the Top 11 and coming out of there with one win out of the two, I think, that’s a good trip,” Hultquist said. “Obviously you want to win every match but beating a ranked team on the road and coming from behind, I was just really pleased with how the team performed. I thought the team really competed hard today.”
Florida State will play its third straight road match when the Seminoles travel to Coral Gables, Fla., to face ACC-rival Miami, Saturday, March 15th at 3 p.m., before returning home for a three-match home stand beginning with Clemson on March 18th.
#17 Florida State 4, #11 Rice 3
03/11/08 at Houston, Texas (Jake Hess Stadium)
1. #44 Bruno Rosa (RICE) def. #24 Jean-Yves Aubone (FLST) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. #91 Clint Bowles (FLST) def. #37 Christoph Müller (RICE) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sam Chang (FLST) def. #110 Ralph Knupfer (RICE) 6-2, 3-0
4. Maciek Sykut (FLST) def. Filip Zivojinovic (RICE) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
5. Chong Wang (RICE) def. Chris Cloer (FLST) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Brad Mixson (FLST) def. Dennis Polyakov (RICE) 6-4, 6-2
1. #16 Christoph Müller/Ralph Knupfer (RICE) def. #30 Clint Bowles/Jean-Yves Aubone (FLST) 8-5
2. Sam Chang/Maciek Sykut (FLST) def. Chong Wang/Filip Zivojinovic (RICE) 8-3
3. Bruno Rosa/Vishnu Rajam (RICE) def. Chris Cloer/Brad Mixson (FLST) 8-3
Florida State 10-2; National ranking #17
Rice 9-4; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,2,5,4,1)