NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The No. 18 Florida State women’s tennis team (17-7, 8-5 ACC) took down Notre Dame (11-13, 2-11 ACC) 6-1 to begin the final weekend of the regular season.
“It was another really solid and efficient day of work by the girls today,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “We set the tone very well in doubles and kept a strong hold on things from that point on.”
The Seminoles started the day by winning their 17th doubles point of the season. Sophomore Carla Touly and junior Ariana Rahmanparast dominated court one. The duo jumped out to a 5-0 lead before finishing off their opponent 6-1. On court three senior Gabby Castaneda and freshman Petra Hule fell behind 1-0 early but went on to win the next six games, clinching the doubles point.
Florida State jumped out quick in singles as well, winning four of six first sets. Hule earned her 15th win of the spring on court two 6-2, 6-1 to give the Seminoles a 2-0 lead. Touly expanded the Garnet and Gold’s lead to 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-2 win on court one. The Irish earned a point back with a 6-3, 6-1 win on court four but FSU bounced right back to clinch the match. Sophomore Andrea Garcia clinched her team-leading sixth match of the season with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court six.
With the match already in hand, the Seminoles went on to win the final two courts. Sophomore Nandini Das fell 6-1 in the first set but turned around to take the second set 6-2 and then the third 10-6 to give Florida State a 5-1 lead. Rahmanparast wrapped up play on court five with a 7-5, 6-2 win.
“With a quick turnaround coming up at Louisville on Sunday, it was important to not waste any extra energy today, and everyone did a fantastic job with that detail today,” said Hyde. “We are competing at a high level right now and look forward to getting down to Louisville tomorrow to get ready for our final regular-season ACC match.”
Florida State will be back on court Sunday at 11 a.m. as they take on Louisville for the final match of the regular season.
#18 Florida State 6, Notre Dame 1
1. #18 Carla Touly (FSU) def. Allison Miller (ND) 6-0, 6-2
2. #92 Petra Hule (FSU) def. Brooke Broda (ND) 6-2, 6-1
3. Nandini Das (FSU) def. Zoe Spence (ND) 1-6, 6-2, 10-6
4. Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Julia Mikulski (FSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ariana Rahmanparast (FSU) def. Rachel Chong (ND) 7-5, 6-2
6. Andrea Garcia (FSU) def. Caroline Dunleavy (ND) 6-2, 6-4
1. #73 Carla Touly/Ariana Rahmanparast (FSU) def. Brooke Broda/Zoe Spence (ND) 6-1
2. Ally Bojczuk/Allison Miller (ND) vs. Julia Mikulski/Andrea Garcia (FSU) 3-2, unfinished
3. Gabriella Castaneda/Petra Hule (FSU) def. Rachel Chong/Caroline Dunleavy (ND) 6-1
Florida State 17-7, 8-5 ACC; National ranking #18
Notre Dame 11-13, 2-11 ACC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,4,6,3,5)