TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 19 Florida State women’s tennis team (13-7, 5-5 ACC) took their fifth-ranked victim of the season as they took down No. 25 Syracuse (14-4, 6-4 ACC) in front of a record crowd at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
“That was probably the biggest crowd we have had all year,” said head coach Jennifer Hyde. “They did a really good job of getting behind us all day.”
The Noles got out to a 1-0 lead early after winning the doubles point. Senior Gabby Castaneda and freshman Petra Hule improved their record to 4-0 on the season with a 6-1 win on court three. The Orange then tied the doubles point up with a 6-4 win on court one. With the doubles point on the line, junior Julia Mikulski and sophomore Andrea Garcia led the whole way and captured a 6-4 win and the doubles point for the Garnet and Gold.
Syracuse tied up the match at one in singles as sophomore Carla Touly had to retire her match due to an injury. Florida State regained their lead as Hule dominated court two with a 6-2, 6-3 win. The Orange once again tied it up with a win on court four. Castaneda gave the Noles a 3-2 lead with a win on court three. Syracuse could not rebound from this deficit as Garcia clinched her team-leading fifth match of the season with a 6-1, 7-5 win on court six.
“That was a very tough Syracuse team,” said Hyde. “They came to play and wanted to win. You could tell be all the close matches. The girls did another good job of holding on to their matches. The momentum was set with the doubles point and we did a really good job of getting that point.”
“That is a tough home win for us and we are glad we could defend our home court with good energy and a good crowd.”
Florida State will be back at home Sunday at 1 p.m. as they take on Boston College.
#19 Florida State University 4, #25 Syracuse 2
1. #10 Gabriela Knutson (SU) def. #24 Carla Touly (FS) 6-0, retired
2. #109 Petra Hule (FS) def. Miranda Ramirez (SU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Gabriella Castaneda (FS) def. Sofya Golubovskaya (SU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Anna Shkudun (SU) def. Julia Mikulski (FS) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) vs. Dina Hegab (SU) 6-4, 3-5, unfinished
6. Andrea Garcia (FS) def. Libi Mesh (SU) 6-1, 7-5
1. #12 Miranda Ramirez/Gabriela Knutson (SU) def. #63 Carla Touly/Ariana Rahmanparast (FS) 6-4
2. Julia Mikulski/Andrea Garcia (FS) def. Sofya Golubovskaya/Anna Shkudun (SU) 6-4
3. Petra Hule/Gabriella Castaneda (FS) def. Maria Tritou/Dina Hegab (SU) 6-1
Syracuse 14-4, 6-4 ACC; National ranking #25
Florida State University 13-7, 5-5 ACC; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,4,3,6)