April 29, 2001
TALLAHASSEE, FL.–The Florida State men’s tennis team was looking to get an upset win over the 20th-ranked Auburn Tigers this afternoon and keep the hope of an at-large berth into the NCAA tournament alive. However, despite taking the doubles point the Seminoles came up short, falling 2-4 to the Tigers in the last match of the regular season.
Florida State’s Xavier Luscan and Bartosz Koldej teamed to win the first match of the day as they topped Tiago Ruffoni and Raitis Tukans at No. 2 doubles by a score of 8-5. FSU’s No. 1 tandem of Alex Herrera and Jarrod Owen would clinch the doubles point for the Seminoles a few minutes later with an 8-5 win over Mark Kovacs and Ryan Sanders.
The Tigers would take a 3-1 lead in the singles portion of the match after getting straight set victories at the No. 2, 5, and 6 positions. The momentum would shift however as Florida State won the first set on the remaining three courts. Rodrigo Laub at No. 3 singles defeated Georges Matijsevic 7-6, 3-6, 6-2 to give FSU a second point. However, Rameez Junaid clinched the match for Auburn with a 2-6, 7-5, 6-3 win over Xavier Luscan at No. 1, making the final score 4-2 in favor of the visiting Tigers.
The loss drops Florida State’s record to 10-14 on the season while Auburn improves to 13-9 overall.
#20 Auburn 4
#65 Florida State 2
1. Rameez Junaid (AU) def. Xavier Luscan (FSU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Tiago Ruffoni (AU) def. Gustav Bucht (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Rodrigo Laub (FSU) def. Georges Matijsevic (AU) 7-6, 3-6, 6-2
4. Alex Herrera (FSU) vs. Mark Kovacs (AU) DNF
5. Estevan Strecker (AU) def. Jarrod Owen (FSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ryan Sanders (AU) def. Bartosz Koldej (FSU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Herrera/Owen (FSU) def. Kovacs/Sanders (AU) 8-5
2. Luscan/Koldej (FSU) def. Ruffoni/Tukans (AU) 8-5
3. Laub/Bucht (FSU) vs. Junaid/Strecker (AU) DNF