WACO, Texas – The No. 21 ranked Florida State men’s tennis team (9-0) stayed unbeaten on Saturday as they defeated Purdue (2-3) 4-0 in the first match of the ITA Kickoff weekend. With a 9-0 start, the Seminoles are off to their best start under head coach Dwayne Hultquist. The Noles will take on either Baylor or UNLV in the winners match tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET.
“Overall today was a very good day,” said Hultquist. “It was nice to have Alex back in the lineup and get a victory.”
The Seminoles grabbed their seventh double point of the season as they swept the Boilermakers in Waco. On court three seniors Terrance and Terrell Whitehurst grabbed the first win as they took down Purdue’s #59 pair of Renan Hanayama and Ali Mooraj 6-2. Senior Guy Iradukunda and junior Aziz Dougaz clinched the doubles point for the Garnet and Gold with a 6-4 win on court one.
Florida State brought their doubles success into single and clinched their seventh shutout victory of the year. As usual, redshirt senior Lucas Poullain earned a quick second point for the Seminoles with a 6-1, 6-2 win on court three. Dougaz gave the Garnet and Gold a 3-0 lead on court one after a 6-2, 6-4 win. Iradukunda clinched his third match of the season just after Dougaz’s win with a 6-3, 6-3 win on court two.
“We had a nice start in singles winning the first set on all six courts,” said Hultquist. “Purdue played very well in the second sets, but the top of our lineup stepped up once again to lead us to a win.”
The Seminoles will wrap up the ITA Kickoff Weekend tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET against the winner of Baylor and UNLV.
There are 15 regionals played on both the men’s and women’s side, with four teams competing in each regional. The winners of the single-elimination event advance to next month’s ITA Division I National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle, Wash. at the University of Washington
To keep up with the Seminoles, check Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information, or keep up with the team on social media through Twitter (@FSU_MTennis), Facebook (/FSUMTennis), and Instagram (@FSU_MTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Florida State
Jan 27, 2018 at Waco, Texas
(Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center)
#21 Florida State 4, Purdue 0
1. Aziz Dougaz (FS) def. Gergley Madarasz (PUR) 6-2, 6-4
2. #22 Guy Iradukunda (FS) def. Stephan Koenigsfest (PUR) 6-3, 6-3
3. #24 Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Javier Rodriguez (PUR) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jose Gracia (FS) vs. Maksymillan Raupuk (PUR) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
5. #59 Alex Knaff (FS) vs. Athell Bennett (PUR) 6-1, 5-5, unfinished
6. Chase Wood (FS) vs. Ali Mooraj (PUR) 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
1. Guy Iradukunda/Aziz Dougaz (FS) def. Gergley Madarasz/Athell Bennett (PUR) 6-4
2. #8 Lucas Poullain/Jose Gracia (FS) vs. Stephan Koenigsfest/Javier Rodriguez (PUR) 4-5, unfinished
3. Terrell Whitehurst/Terrance Whitehurst (FS) def. #59 Renan Hanayama/Ali Mooraj (PUR) 6-2
Purdue 2-3 Florida State 9-0; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,1,2)
ITA Kick-Off Weekend Match One Hosted by Baylor University
(2) Florida State vs. (3) Purdue
FSU advances to championship match; Purdue advances to consolation match