March 9, 2007
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Friday’s match at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center was a battle of wills, lasting four hours and 41 minutes, as the Seminoles came on top with a 5-2 victory over ACC foe NC State. The women’s tennis team improved their record to 8-3 making it the best start under head coach Jennifer Hyde.
“I’ve got to say out of all the matches we played this season, I think this was definitely a tester for us,” stated assistant coach Oliver Foreman. “It was interesting from going to be the hunter to now being the hunted. We found a way to win, we didn’t play our best tennis and every single one of the girls knows that, but we found a way to win and the better teams and the better players do that. The girls did good, they got the win, they got the job done.”
With winds playing a factor during the match, Florida State came on top with two wins to get the doubles point. Winning 8- was freshman Jessica Wente (Whitehouse, Texas) and senior Miranda Foley (Cambridge, England) over Julia Roach and Kate Green.
In a battle to the finish, freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) and junior Tapiwa Marobela (Gaborone, Botswana) came on top with the victory over Berkeley Brock and Neils Barringer. The teams were tied at 8-8 forcing a tiebreaker where Florida State won 7-2.
In singles play, sophomore No. 82 Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) defeated Berkeley Brock in a fierce competition losing the first match 2-6 only to come back and win 6-3, 6-3 in the two position. Winning 6-3, 6-3 was No. 62 Macfarlane against Julia Roach in the three position.
Junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) came on top of a 7-5, 6-2 win over Alejandra Guerra in the four spot. Winning 6-3, 6-3 was Wente against Barringer in the six spot.
This win marks the first win the ACC for the Seminoles this season. Florida State is now 14-2 all-time over the Wolfpack.
The Seminoles play host to No. 14 Wake Forest on Sunday, March 11 at noon. All home matches are played at Scott Speicher Tennis Center and admission is free to all.
No. 27 Florida State 5, No. 38 NC State 2
1. Alejandra Guerra/Daria Petrovic (NCSU) def. No. 23 Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) 8-2
2. Jessica Wente/ Miranda Foley (FSU) def. Julia Roach/Kate Green (NCSU) 8-3
3. Lauren Macfarlane/ Tapiwa Marobela def. Berkeley Brock/Neils Barringer (NCSU) 9-8 (7-2)
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1. Daria Petrovic (NCSU) def. No. 98 Nicola Slater (FSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 82 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. Berkeley Brock (NCSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 62 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) def. Julia Roach (NCSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Alejandra Guerra (NCSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Kate Green (NCSU) def. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
6. Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Neils Barringer (NCSU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 6,4,3,5,2,1