March 6, 2007
Coral Gables, FL – No. 27 Florida State women’s tennis (7-3, 0-1) played with all of their heart today only to fall to the No. 12 Hurricanes 3-4 (9-2, 1-0) on Tuesday, March 6. The Seminoles clinched the doubles point to gain the 1-0 advantage at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center but fell in singles play winning two matches in this season’s ACC opener.
In doubles play, senior Nicola Slater (Ayr, Scotland) and junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) upset the No. 8 doubles team in the nation, Audrey Banada and Romy Farah, 8-5 to clinch the doubles point for Florida State.
In singles play, junior Tapiwa Marobela (Gaborone, Botswana) defeated Emily Mowery 6-1, 6-0 in the six position to increase her singles record to 10-3 on the season. Winning 7-6, 6-1 was Walter against Caren Seenauth in the four position.
With both teams tied at 3-3, freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) lost the first set 1-6 against Romy Farah. She then fought back to win the second set 6-4. In the third set, Farah took an early lead winning 2-0, but Macfarlane came back to tie it up 2-2. Unfortunately, Farah took the lead and won the set, clinching the match and team point.
This marks the fifth loss to Miami since 2001. The Seminoles have yet to beat the Hurricanes in ACC play. Florida State’s last win came in 2000 with a score of 5-1.
Although the Seminoles lost to Miami, there was good news for the team. The ITA/FILA Collegiate Tennis Rankings released today Florida State soaring up 23 positions from No. 50 to No. 27 in the nation. The last time the Seminoles were ranked this high was in 2004 on the final rankings of the season when the team placed at No. 26.
The Seminoles play host to No. 38 NC State on Friday, March 9 at 3 p.m. All home matches are played at Scott Speicher Tennis Center and admission is free to all.
No. 12 Miami 4, No. 27 Florida State 3
1. No. 1 Audra Coehn (UM) def. No. 55 Nicola Slater (FSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 26 Audrey Banada (UM) def. No. 44 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Romy Farah (UM) def. Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
4. Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Caren Seenauth (UM) 7-6, 6-1
5. Gina Sabatino (UM) def. Jessica Wente (FSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) def. Emily Mowery (UM) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,1,5,2,4,3
1. Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) def. No. 8 Audrey Banada/Romy Farah (UM) 8-5
2. Audra Cohen/Caren Seenauth (UM) def. Tapiwa Marobela/Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) 8-4
3. Jessica Wente/Miranda Foley (FSU) def. Gina Sabatino/Claudia Wasilewski (UM) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,3,1