ATLANTA, Ga. (AP) – Shakayla Thomas scored 17 points, Imani Wright added 14 and No. 6 Florida State won its seventh straight game with a 69-63 victory over Georgia Tech on Thursday night.
The Seminoles (20-2, 8-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) remained atop the league standings, trailing for just one possession and improving to 8-0 on the road.
Kaylan Pugh finished with 23 points and Zaire O’Neil had 12 for Georgia Tech (13-7, 2-5). The Yellow Jackets have lost three straight and five of seven.
O’Neil’s layup gave Georgia Tech its only lead of the game, making it 50-49 with 8:36 remaining, but Florida State coach Sue Semrau immediately called a timeout, and Chatrice White followed with two quick baskets for a three-point lead.
Wright had a three-point play to make it 56-50, and Ama Degbeon scored inside for a 60-52 lead.
Ivey Slaughter had 11 points and six rebounds for Florida State.
Thomas’ free throw gave the Seminoles their first double-digit lead at 43-33 with 4 minutes left in the third quarter.
The Seminoles missed 11 of their first 15 shots of the game, but they finished the first half shooting 50 percent and led 30-23.
POST-GAME NOTES BY FSU SPORTS INFORMATION:
• Thursday’s win over Georgia Tech ties for the fastest to 20 wins in program history at 22 games (20-2). FSU is tied with the 2014-15 team, which also got its 20th win against the Yellow Jackets that season.
• FSU has five straight 20-win seasons.
• FSU’s seven-game win streak is the longest active win streak in the conference.
• The Seminoles improve to 8-0 in road games this season, including 5-0 in ACC road games. FSU is now 18-4 in its last 22 ACC road games.
• The senior class of Leticia Romero, Ivey Slaughter, Brittany Brown and Kai James now has a career record of 98-27, tying the 2010 and 2011 seniors for the most wins by a senior class.
• FSU wraps up its longest ACC road stretch in 11 seasons on Thursday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m. at Boston College.
• FSU’s 8-1 start in ACC play is its best nine-game start since also 8-1 in 2014-15.
• Florida State improves to 25-20 overall vs. Georgia Tech, including 13-8 on the road. The Seminoles have won five of the last six games in the series.