April 19, 2007
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. –
The No. 6 seeded Florida State men’s tennis team earned their way in to round two of the 2007 ACC Men’s Tennis Championships after defeated No. 11 seed Maryland 4-0 in Chapel Hill, N.C. Play began at the Cary Tennis Center but later moved indoors during doubles play due to inclement weather. After clinching the doubles point, the Seminoles went on to win three straight singles victories in order to clinch the overall victory over the Terrapins.
Rain began to fall on the Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C. while Florida State led in all three doubles matches. After moving indoors, senior Ytai Abougzir (Boca Raton, Fla.) and freshman Bradley Mixson (Miami, Fla.) quickly defeated Maryland’s Nicolas Frayssinoux and Scott Fink in position two 8-5 while on court three sophomore duo Maciek Sykut (Marathon, Fla.) and Andrew Bailey (Tallahassee, Fla.) overcame the Terps’ David Kwon and Trey Taylor 8-5. Immediately after Florida State clinched the doubles point, senior Jonathas Sucupira (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and junior Sam Chang (Young-Ming, Taiwan) won on court one over Andrew Orban and Boris Fetbroyt of Maryland 8-6.
In singles competition, Chang captured Florida State’s second point on court five after downing Maryland’s Fink 6-0, 6-2 while Aubone fought back after dropping a first set to defeat the Terps’ Kwon 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 in position two. Court four clinched the overall match victory for Florida State as Sykut overcame in
No. 6 seeded Florida State moves in to round two on Friday as they take on the No. 3 seed Duke on Friday at the Cary Tennis Center with first serve starting at 3:00 p.m.
No. 6 Florida State 4, No. 11 Maryland 0
1. #34 Chang/Sucupira (FSU) vs. Orban/Fetbroyt (UM) 8-6
2. Abougzir/Mixson (FSU) vs. Frayssinoux/Fink (UM) 8-5
3. Bailey/Sykut (FSU) vs. Kwon/Taylor (UM) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3*, 1
*- Clinched Win.
1. #67 Ytai Abougzir (FSU) vs. Nicolas Frayssinoux (UM) 6-4, 1-6, 5-2 DNF
2. #107 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. David Kwon (UM) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Jonathas Sucupira (FSU) vs. Andrew Orban (UM) 6-4, 5-4 DNF
4. Maciek Sykut (FSU) def. Nickolai Nielsen (UM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. Sam Chang (FSU) vs. Scott Fink (UM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Bradley Mixson (FSU) vs. Boris Fetbroyt (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 5-2 DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4*
*- Clinched Win.