February 21, 2000 - by
‘Noles Battle Back To Defeat Georgia Tech, 64-54

Feb. 21, 2000

Box Score


Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – Damous Anderson scored 26 points off the bench to
spur Florida State to a 64-54 come-from-behind win over Georgia Tech in an
Atlantic Coast Conference game Monday.

Florida State (10-13 overall, 5-7 conference) had to overcome a barrage of
nine 3-pointers by Georgia Tech’s Tony Akins, the most this season in an ACC
game. Akins finished with 33 points to lead all scorers.

The loss continued the woes of Yellow Jackets Coach Bobby Cremins in his
first game since announcing he won’t coach the team next year. It was the third
straight loss for Georgia Tech (11-14, 3-9), and dropped them into a tie with
Clemson for last place in the ACC.

Akins was 5-for-5 from 3-point range in the first half and was outscoring
the entire Florida State team until just over a minute to play in the half.

That staked the Yellow Jackets to a 34-26 lead at the half, but Florida
State came alive in the second half, led by Anderson and Nigel Dixon, and
nearly shut out Georgia Tech over the last four minutes of the game.

Anderson ended the first half with a resounding dunk and started the second
half with another dunk on a fast break that got the Seminoles’ crowd into the

He then hit a 3-pointer with just over 10 minutes left to pull the Seminoles
to within one at 47-46 to shift the momentum for good.

The lead changed hands a couple of times, but Anderson blocked an Akins shot
from behind and hit a lay-up at the other end to give Florida State a 54-53
lead with 4:46 to play. It was a lead they would never relinquish.

The Seminoles turned up the intensity on defense and the Yellow Jackets only
managed one more point the rest of the way, and failed to score a field goal in
the last 6:56 of the game.

Ron Hale added 17 points for the Seminoles.

Dixon had 8 rebounds off the bench to lead the Florida State defense.

It was a very physical game and Florida State center David Anderson suffered
a broken nose early in the first half when Georgia Tech’s Alvin Jones backed
into him hard after a rebound.

Related Articles