March 24, 2012
RALEIGH, N.C. – The No.40 Florida State women’s tennis team grabbed their first conference win this season by defeating NC State today, 5-2 at the J.W Isenhour Tennis Center in Raleigh, N.C., improving to 8-6 (1-3 ACC) on the season.
“Today was a very good day for us,” Head Coach Jennifer Hyde said. “We set the tone of the match by taking that doubles point. All three positions were very close and we fought ourselves out of a few holes, but in the end they found a way to get it done. We did a great job of playing fundamental and aggressive tennis in some big situations. I’m really proud of the way the team handled that today.”
The Seminoles kicked things off by snatching the doubles point, claiming victories on courts two and three. Junior Amy Sargeant and freshman Leyla Erkan picked up their second win on the year as a pair by defeating Tatiana Illova and Nicole Martinez 8-6 on court two. Junior Carolina De los Santos and freshman Mia Vriens outlasted the battle on court three to clinch the double point by beating Elisha Hande and Chole Smith 9-8.
After two defaults in singles, one by each team, junior Francesca Segarelli made the score 3-1 as she went on to defeat Ashley Miller on court three, 6-2, 6-4.
Sargeant put up another dominating performance on court six as she defeated Nicole Martinez 6-2, 6-3 as she picked up her tenth win on the year. Her win clinched the match for the Seminoles, making the score 4-1.
Sophomore Ruth Seaborne added the fifth point as she defeated Hande 6-2, 6-4 on court five.
“Coming out with a 5-2 win today feels really good heading into playing Wake Forest tomorrow,” Hyde said. “This team is getting better. You can see the improvement every time we step out on court to compete. We are without a doubt moving in the right direction and it’s exciting to see some things coming together for these girls.”
Florida State is not finished with their road trip as they will head to Winston-Salem, N.C. on Sunday for a match with Wake Forest at 12 p.m. Check back to Seminoles.com and Twitter (FSU_Wtennis) for more information.
1. Kissell/Miller (NCSU) def. Segarelli/Seaborne (FSU), 8-6
2. Sargeant/Erkan (FSU) def. Illova/Martinez (NCSU), 8-6
3. De los Santos/Vriens (FSU) def. Hande/Smith (NCSU), 9-8
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 60 Joelle Kissell (NCSU) def. Leyla Erkan (FSU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Tatiana Illova (NCSU), 4-2 (inj. default)
3. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Ashley Miller (NCSU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Chloe Smith (NCSU) def. Carolina De los Santos (FSU) , 7-5, 1-1 (inj. default)
5. Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. Elisha Hande (NCSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Nicole Martinez (NCSU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 5