“We had a great transition coming out of doubles,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “We won four first sets and had a chance to win Jordan’s first set, went to a tiebreaker but things didn’t kind of go our way. We had an opportunity to actually get five first sets, and Connor was at 5-all. Clint, Vahid and Anderson did a great job of closing their matches out. I thought Jordan did a terrific job of being down match points and coming back to win the second set to give us options.”
Coming off the courts first for the Garnet and Gold was freshman Anderson Reed (Daphne, Ala.). Reed won 6-3, 6-3 on court six against Will Reynolds.
No. 66 Clint Bowles posted the second `Noles win of the day with a victory on court three. The junior from Tampa, Fla., defeated Jamie Hunt 6-3, 6-4.
No. 54 Vahid Mirzadeh (Wellington, Fla.) won his first set in a tiebreaker and came back strong to win his second match to get the third win of the day. He won 7-6, 6-2 against No. 75 Nate Schnugg on court two.
Freshman Connor Smith (Tampa, Fla.) lost his match on court five 7-5, 6-3 against Christian Vitulli. On court one, No. 31 Jean-Yves Aubone battle hard against No. 22 Javier Garrapiz but fell in the third set.
The final match came down to freshman Jordan Kelly-Houston (Christchurch, New Zealand) and No. 115 Drake Bernstein of Georgia. Falling in the first set, Kelly-Houston fought hard to win the second match and force a third set but lost 7-6, 6-7, 6-3.
No. 12 Georgia 4 def. No. 29 Florida State 3
1) No. 32 Garrapiz/Schnugg (UGA) def. No. 37 Smith/Mirzadeh (FSU) 8-4
2) Hunt/Vitulli (UGA) def. No. 57 Aubone/Bowles (FSU) 8-6
3) Reed/Kelly-Houston (FSU) vs. Bernstein/Reynolds (UGA) DNF
Order of finish: 1,2
1) No. 22 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) def. No. 31 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-3
2) No. 54 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. No. 75 Nate Schnugg (UGA) 7-6 (1), 6-2
3) No. 66 Clint Bowles (FSU) def. Jamie Hunt (UGA) 6-3, 6-4
4) No. 115 Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 7-6 (5), 6-7 (7), 6-3
5) Christian Vitulli (UGA) def. Connor Smith (FSU) 7-5, 6-3
6) Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Will Reynolds (UGA) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2, 5, 1, 4