BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 12 Florida State men’s tennis team (22-2, 6-1 ACC) lost for just the second time this season in a 4-3 defeat to Virginia Tech (13-6, 9-1 ACC).
“We lost a tough one today,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “We faced a lot of adversity and certainly Virginia Tech deserved the win. Virginia Tech played with urgency today and have been playing well.”
The Seminoles got behind early after losing the doubles point. Florida State lost court two 6-1 and then court three 6-3. The duo of Senior Guy Iradukunda and junior Aziz Dougaz were down 4-5 on court one and were not able to finish.
“We could have played better in doubles today,” said Hultquist.
In singles, the Garnet and Gold took three of the six first sets. Those three wins turned into second set wins as well. Florida State tied the match at one with a straight-set win by Iradukunda on court two and then took the lead with another straight-set win on court three by redshirt senior Lucas Poullain. The Hokies then took courts four and five to take a 3-2 lead. Senior Terrell Whitehurst tied the match at 3-3 with a win on court six.
“I was very happy with the performances we got today out Guy, Lucas and Terrell,” said Hultquist.
With the match on the line, Dougaz was down a set and down 4-5 in the second set. Dougaz tied it up at five and once again tied it up at six to force a second set tiebreaker. Dougaz took an early lead in the tiebreaker before #39 Mitch Harper came back to take the tiebreaker 7-4 and the match 4-3.
“I was pleased with Aziz’s fight today,” said Hultquist. “Being down in the second and forcing a tiebreaker showed a lot about him.”
Florida State heads to Charlottesville to take on Virginia this Sunday at 1 p.m.
Virginia Tech 4, Florida State 3
1. #39 Mitch Harper (VT) def. #51 Aziz Dougaz (FSU) 6-4, 7-6(4)
2. #18 Guy Iradukunda (FSU) def. Jason Kros (VT) 6-3, 6-2
3. #32 Lucas Poullain (FSU) def. Alex Ribeiro (VT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Henrik Korsgaard (VT) def. Jose Gracia (FSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Carlo Donato (VT) def. Chase Wood (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Terrell Whitehurst (FSU) def. Freddy Mesmer (VT) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2,3,4,5,6,1
1. Korsgaard/Ribeiro (VT) vs. Dougaz/Iradukunda (FSU) 5-4 dnf
2. Donato/Harper (VT) def. #33 Gracia/Poullain (FSU) 6-1
3. Asaba/J. Kros (VT) def. Terrell Whitehurst/Terrance Whitehurst (FSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 2,3
Records to Watch:
To keep up with the Seminoles, check Seminoles.com for the latest news and scheduling information, or keep up with the team on social media through Twitter (@FSU_MTennis), Facebook (/FSUMTennis), and Instagram @FSU_MTennis).