April 21, 2012
CARY, N.C. – Playing in their first ACC Championships semifinal match since 2009, the No. 5 seed Florida State men’s tennis team fought hard but lost to the No. 1 seed Virginia 4-0. The Seminoles are now 18-9 and are off until the NCAA tournament. Play was held at the Cary Tennis Park.
“We played better doubles than we did last week against them,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “I thought all three teams fought hard. I thought Virginia played better than last time we played them.”
In doubles play, the Seminoles fought back and forth with Virginia early on, but Virginia pulled ahead to win on courts one and three. Virginia’s No. 18 duo of Jarmere Jenkins and Drew Courtney defeated FSU’s No. 60 pairing of junior Jordan Kelly-Houston and sophomore Blake Davis 8-5. On court three junior Anderson Reed and Dominic Cotrone lost 8-4.
In singles play, the Seminoles came out to win two first sets, but it was not enough as Virginia won three straight matches to clinch. Coming off the courts first was freshman Benjamin Lock who lost 6-2, 6-1 to Drew Courtney on court four. On court two, Davis lost to No. 42 Alex Domijan 6-3, 6-1.
Wrapping up the match was freshman Cristian Gonzalez Mendez who lost to No. 69 Justin Shane in a tight 6-4, 6-4 match. When the match was clinched, play on the remaining courts were stopped. At the time, Kelly-Houston was up 6-3, 4-5 against No. 5 Jarmere Jenkins and senior Jason Zafiros was at 6-3, 2-6 beginning his third set.
“Jordan was playing excellent to get off to a quick start,” continued Hultquist. “It was unfortunate he didn’t have enough time to finish the match because it would have been a great opportunity to have his best win of the year. Jason had a great ACC tournament as a senior. He was 2-0 and had won his first set today.”
For updates, check back on Seminoles.com. The team is on twitter and can be followed at twitter.com/fsu_mtennis.
No. 1 Seed Virginia 4 def. No. 5 Seed Florida State 0
1) Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) v. No. 5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) DNF
2) No. 42 Alex Domijan (UVA) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-3, 6-1
3) Andres Bucaro v. No. 1 Mitchell Frank DNF
4) Drew Courtney (UVA) def. Benjamin Lock (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
5) No. 79 Justin Shane (UVA) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
6) Jason Zafiros (FSU) v. Philippe Oudshoorn DNF(UVA)
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5
1) No. 18 Jenkins/Courtney (UVA) def. No. 60 Kelly-Houston/Davis (FSU) 8-5
2) Bucaro/Lock (FSU) vs. Rooda/Shane (UVA) DNF
3) Domijan/Frank (UVA) def. Reed/Cotrone (FSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1